New Lounger
    Thanks

Acer laptop crashed after reinstall

Hi, tried reloading windows 7 built in the system but it just keeps going in a loop when restarting, saying try reloading windows?

Thanks
    Were you given an OEM or MS blue-disk Windows 7 CD/DVD? If so, boot & reload from there. If not, you'll have to, on another computer using same bit Windows 7, make a USB boot stick and try again. Is the harddrive nearly full? I hope you have backed up your data files before all of this. Reinstall probably means restoring to factory specs?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, can i make another copy on dvd from another computer?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brett
    tried reloading windows 7 built in the system
    There may be regional differences (e.g. between US and UK builds) but I guess this means you are trying to re-install using a function key at startup (i.e. using a recovery partition on the the hard disk) rather than using a set of recovery disks that you have created yourself (i.e. the ones that Acer prompts you to create the first dozen or so times the laptop is switched on from new)? Please confirm which method you are using, what country you are in ('cos the Acer support sites are different) and what model Acer laptop it is.

it just keeps going in a loop when restarting, saying try reloading windows?
    Is the 'reload Windows' message after the first automatic reboot? Is it possible to attach a screenshot (using a camera or phone) or, if not, the exact text of the message.

Thanks
    can i make another copy on dvd from another computer?
    Yes, you can create another copy of the recovery media (it's usually 3 OS DVD's and 1 Apps/Drivers DVD for Windows 7 Acer laptops in the UK) but with a couple of caveats.

1. The recovery media is usually model-specific, i.e. you would need to create them from an identical Acer laptop. If you create them from a different model then you will also need to download and install the model-specific device drivers.... but the installation of Windows 7 should activate automatically as the Acer OEM key will be valid. (I say should because Acer may use different OEM keys depending on version and bitness of Windows 7 that's used. For example, if you try using a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Pro recovery media from an Acer Aspire V5 then if may not activate on an Acer Aspire V5 sold with a 64-bit version Windows 7 Home Premium.)

2. If you do have access to another Acer laptop then the option to create a second set of recovery media will no longer be present if a first set has already been created. The only way around this is to carry out a factory reset on the second Acer laptop to get the option to create recovery media.

(You cannot use recovery media from a different manufacturer to carry out a factory re-install. Not only would the hardware be different but the OEM key would be invalid... so Windows won't activate automatically nor via the automated phone service.)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-03 at 15:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-03-03)

Thanks
    RickC, thanks for adding that information! I'm hoping OP can simply do a Start Repair, no more, no less. If that fails, then onward OP goes with the information you and I have given that nice person.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, the message on the startup is - setup is starting servces then a box with install windows windows could not complete the installation. To intsall windows on this computer, restart the installation. - This is a uk model acer laptop Regards - kev

Thanks
    This is a uk model acer laptop
    1. What exact model? The model number is sometimes on the screen bezel but the full model no. is usually on a sticker on the base of the laptop (together with another sticker showing the Acer Group product key for Windows).

2. How did you get to the built-in Restore options. Was it using ALT+F10?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-03 at 15:47.

Thanks
    If it's an Acer Aspire then here's the advice from the manual:

I want to restore my computer to its original settings without recovery CDs.

Note: If your system is the multilingual version, the operating system and language you choose when you first turn on the system will be the only option for future recovery operations.

This recovery process helps you restore the C: drive with the original software content that is installed when you purchase your notebook. Follow the steps below to rebuild your C: drive. (Your C: drive will be reformatted and all data will be erased.) It is important to back up all data files before using this option.

Before performing a restore operation, please check the BIOS settings.
    1 Check to see if Acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.
    2 Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.
    3 Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.
    Note: To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during POST.

To start the recovery process:
    1 Restart the system.
    2 While the Acer logo is showing, press <Alt> + <F10> at the same time to enter the recovery process.
    3 Refer to the onscreen instructions to perform system recovery.
    Important! This feature occupies 15 GB in a hidden partition on your hard disk

So, check your BIOS first in case this is what is preventing a successful restore.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks rick & others for your help, will try your solution rick let you know later how it goes - kind Regards Kev