Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.com questions

I switched from gmail to outlook.com several years ago. I much prefer the MS web interface to gmail's.

What I didn't realize at the time was that outlook.com (I use Outlook 2013 as an email client on my desktop) restricts the amount of email that one can send in a given day. This is supposedly to stop spammers, not sure if I believe that or not. MS won't disclose what that figure is, as far as I can tell.

Changing back to gmail would be a royal PITA.

When forwarding some jokes or soccer related emails (from the Outlook 2013 desktop client) to various family and friends on a distribution list and trying to send several of these per day, I run into that "limit". I sent three emails this morning with about 87-90 people total (over the three emails) in a BCC list and hit whatever that limit is set at. So, the third email "bounced". The "bounced" email says that I can send it again tomorrow. Whoop de do.

MS says that the email limit goes up as they determine that you are not a spammer. If that has happened, it is NOT apparent to me.

"Supposedly" a premium account "raises" that limit although, again, MS will not say to what amount.

Does anyone know what these limits are and if a premium account holder gets a raised limit?

Thanks,

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you verified your account? See Errors sending or receiving email for links and more information.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, both of my outlook.com accounts were verified a long time ago.

K

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you verified your account? See Errors sending or receiving email for links and more information.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the Outlook.com forum - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...1425594949286?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, when I first found this out (the email daily limit and the frequency of checking for email). MS will not tell what these limits are. The first time that anyone using an outlook.com email account and exceeding these limits knows is when you get a bounce email with some odd message in it (like "552 5.3.4 Requested action aborted; Our daily message limit was meant to stop spammers--we're sorry that it's getting in your way. You can wait a day to send your message."

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I don't know the limits nor how to find out what they are. I suppose the best you can hope for is that the limits are raised for you over time.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-sending-mail
    Do note that Outlook.com is not the same as Outlook, not part of the Office suite of applications, although Outlook and maybe other installed E-Mail Clients can be set to access your Outlook.com, or older Hotmail.com, account.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-03-06 at 17:43.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I know that the .com is different from the Outlook client. I believe that I stated this on the OP.

All that the URL reference does is talk about "add a phone" to "increase your limits". This was done LONG AGO. However, as they never tell you what the limits are, it's damn near impossible to determine whether they raise it or not.

I hope that other people (if they are considering switching to using outlook.com) realize this (I didn't several years ago when I switched) and take this into consideration before making a switch. Given my druthers, I would NOT switch from gmail to outlook.com again knowing about these "secretive" limits.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...s-sending-mail
    Do note that Outlook.com is not the same as Outlook, not part of the Office suite of applications, although Outlook and maybe other installed E-Mail Clients can be set to access your Outlook.com, or older Hotmail.com, account.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's already been over two years. I don't think that MS are going to raise these artificially low limits any higher.

K

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know the limits nor how to find out what they are. I suppose the best you can hope for is that the limits are raised for you over time.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think the limit's artificial, low or secret. You can send up to 300 emails per day (but no more than 100 recipients per message): The Outlook.com Daily Limit to Send Emails

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-03-07 at 19:30. Reason: Tried to clarify; max. 3x100, not 300x100.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

kevmeist (2015-03-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce,

I had not seen this URL before, but when I first posed this question (probably around 2 to 2.5 years ago or so), nobody on the MS forums could answer those questions (in fact they were downright evasive about the limit then). I use the Outlook PC client to retrieve, so don't logon to outlook.com very often (typically only when traveling). My mail list is only 26 names, sometimes I add 9 more names to some emails. I don't know which 24 hour period MS uses, I assume 00:00 to 23:59. I am almost certain the other day that I was nowhere near 300 emails when I got "the message" saying I had exceeded the limit.

One of the questions I had is what is the increase if I use a paid account? I have not seen this limit (if indeed the limit is raised for a paid account) stated anywhere either.

The URL that you provided (thanks) states "You can upgrade your Outlook.com account to a paid subscription (here is the signup page). Although Microsoft does NOT clearly state how much it will increase your daily email send limit, they do advertise that your daily limit will be increased."

Regards,

K

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I don't think the limit's artificial, low or secret. You can send up to 300 emails per day (but no more than 100 recipients per message): The Outlook.com Daily Limit to Send Emails

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    One of the questions I had is what is the increase if I use a paid account? I have not seen this limit (if indeed the limit is raised for a paid account) stated anywhere either.

The URL that you provided (thanks) states "You can upgrade your Outlook.com account to a paid subscription (here is the signup page). Although Microsoft does NOT clearly state how much it will increase your daily email send limit, they do advertise that your daily limit will be increased."
    Yes, but the two comments at the bottom of that page indicate that an increased limit was probably not still available even when that page was published two years ago.

The upgrade page they link to only offers three benefits (No ads, no expiration without login, and tech support) for $19.95 per year; no increased limit: Ad-free Outlook.com

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Bruce. As I use the outlook PC client...ads is something that has no effect on me.

Hopefully, others thinking of switching to outlook.com will read this thread and carefully consider whether they really want to switch. As I mentioned before, if it wasn't such a PITA to switch back to gmail then I would.

K

Yes, but the two comments at the bottom of that page indicate that an increased limit was probably not still available even when that page was published two years ago.

The upgrade page they link to only offers three benefits (No ads, no expiration without login, and tech support) for $19.95 per year; no increased limit: Ad-free Outlook.com

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Gmail has similar limits: Message bounced due to sending limit

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe so, but the gmail limit is higher than outlook.com. I never ran into this issue when using gmail.

Gmail has similar limits: Message bounced due to sending limit

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast