5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A small utility for big file-management issues

BEST UTILITIES

A small utility for big file-management issues

By Nathan Segal

One of those extremely annoying Windows experiences is trying to delete a file or folder and getting only an error message: "Cannot delete file: Access is denied." You can spend a lot of time checking permissions or associated processes or you can simply download Unlocker, a free utility that lets you take back control of your files.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-utilities/a-small-utility-for-big-file-management-issues/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Vipre Internet Security 2015 quarantines this file. Identifies Babylon (fs) States it is low risk, and suggest "Ignore". Using their 'Restore from Quarantine' puts it in my download location, momentarily. But immediately quarantines it again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A good example of a well written Windows Secrets piece. I especially appreciated the detailed explanations of what to look out for when attempting to download anything today especially the bogus 'file- is-a-danger' warnings. It's becoming a real jungle out on the net now and this helps to keep us armed. BTW I do NOT plan on using this utility I just enjoyed the way it was described.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Q-DIR alternative to UnLocker

I have used UnLocker and it does work, but I recently came across another solution - Q-DIR.
    This short post: How to clean up the app folder in Windows 8.1 explains how to enable Q-DIR to delete locked files. It's also a nifty little file explorer in its own right.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=148

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For non-techies such as myself, the danger with Unlocker and similar apps is that we may unlock something that should not be interfered with, and possibly trash the PC, or at least need a fresh install.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    For non-techies such as myself, the danger with Unlocker and similar apps is that we may unlock something that should not be interfered with, and possibly trash the PC, or at least need a fresh install.
    Exactly. Good reason why you get that "access denied" error when you try to delete a file you don't recognise. Maybe that file is needed by Windows or some other program you are using???
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.