New Lounger
    Thanks

Playing .mid files

Is it true that Windows 8.1 no longer supports playback of .mid files for "security reasons?"

When I got my W8 computer last November, I installed an old game which uses .mid files for background music.
    Unless I'm having yet another "senior moment," I remember that the music played then. Now, it is silent. I don't exactly remember "The Day That the Music Died."

When I started checking it out, I found vague references to the fact that Microsoft had stopped .mid support. Someone recommended VLC Media Player as a workaround, stating that it still supported .mid files. However, when I went to download it on 2/27, I found that a new version had been released that day. It now appears that it no longer supports .mid files for playback either.

The W8 computer still contains midimap.dll, which would have been used for playback, but....????

Does anyone know the whole story?

Thanks
    Media player 12 in Windows 10TP still plays them!

Have a look in c:\windows\media and you should find 3 example midi tracks.

Thanks
    I have a .mid file and it works fine with Windows Media Player, but I can't see it with Win Media Centre. Using WMP isn't quite teh same as what you're trying to do. Did you see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-6bf926e83cb8, might have an answer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the .mid files but Windows Media Player won't play them. I get this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

I previously went through the article you cite and tried all the troubleshooting suggestions, reinstalled the audio driver, etc., all with no luck. The computer is an ASUS X205TA.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Hmm no not really. Other than my PC is an upgrade from Win 7 whereas yours seems to be a straight win 8 one. Perhaps I have the relevant file(s) because of that. I Googled for the problem and that article seemed to be relevant. I assume you have Googled as well.

I can confirm that my version of VLC (v2.1.5 Rincewind) doesn't play them either - and nowt can be done about it.

Sorry i can't help further, hope one of the others on the lounge will be able to help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkellyjrvt View Post
    ...Any other thoughts?
    You could try installing the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

jkellyjrvt (2015-03-07)

Thanks
    My Real Player plays mid files. I'm suspecting CTL-PNL --> Default Programs --> Associate a file type...will be part of the solution.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    You could try installing the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack.
    WMP with K-Lite installed plays .mid files. I haven't come across anything it wont play!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

jkellyjrvt (2015-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Coochin and Calimanco. I installed the K-Lite Basic pack and still couldn't play .mid files. But then I ran its Codec Tweaker, and it found some error in .mid file registration, which it fixed. Lo and behold! Windows 8.1 now plays them. The music is no longer dead.