5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Port port problem

I have a port port and two starboard ports. The port port, on the left side of the laptop, is USB3, and the two ports on the right side are USB2. The problem is that I can boot with a flash drive from a USB2 port but not from the USB3 port, which happens to be where I want the boot (for Windows To Go).

I have been struggling to comprehend the UEFI business for an eternity now, only to realize that different ports behave differently, which appears to be dependent on the hardware and not (necessarily) on UEFI.

I canít make any sense of this, and I hope that someone in this forum will help me out.

Thanks
    Your UEFI mainboard includes built-in support for its USB 2 ports but needs a driver for its USB 3 port... so can only boot natively from the USB 2 ports.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Basically from what I've read, you would need to plug in an USB 3 device into the USB 3 port for its drivers to load.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...-3-usb-devices

Not sure if going into the BIOS and changing to Legacy mode would let you use this port, but does it matter which port you use ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I think the answer lies in the article by Fred Langa in December(?) How to solve UEFI boot and startup problems. I had that on tap but got frustrated when things took an unexpected turn, so I'll go through it carefully again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I think the answer lies in the article by Fred Langa in December How to solve UEFI boot and startup problems. I had that on tap but got frustrated when things took an unexpected turn, so I'll go through it carefully again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    DB,

FWIW, my wife's Dell XPS14z w/Win 7 HP will NOT boot from it's single USB 3.0 port as there is no driver support in the BIOS/Boot code. Once Windows is up and running it works fine since the USB 3.0 drivers are now loaded. As stated by the previous posters.

On the other hand my newer Dell XPS8700 Win 8.1 Pro Update 1 UEFI Secure Boot machine boots just fine from the USB 3.0 ports as the drivers are baked in before Windows Boots.

Thus, I don't think you're going to have much success playing with settings if the driver code isn't available before Windows Loads. YMMV

BTW: Macrium Reflect will create boot media that will boot just fine with UEFI Secure Boot turned on if you want to use that for testing.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    FWIW, my wife's Dell XPS14z w/Win 7 HP will NOT boot from it's single USB 3.0 port as there is no driver support in the BIOS/Boot code. Once Windows is up and running it works fine since the USB 3.0 drivers are now loaded.
    Here is an experiment for your wife to try: once Windows is up and running and otherwise unoccupied, pluck the drive from the USB2 port and insert it in the (now functional) USB3 port in less than sixty seconds to see whether or not it will carry on from there. If it's a USB3 flash drive and the machine accepts it, she will now have a (theoretically) much faster machine.

HMMV, to say the least, but if it works it works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Here is an experiment for your wife to try: once Windows is up and running and otherwise unoccupied, pluck the drive from the USB2 port and insert it in the (now functional) USB3 port in less than sixty seconds to see whether or not it will carry on from there. If it's a USB3 flash drive and the machine accepts it, she will now have a (theoretically) much faster machine.

HMMV, to say the least, but if it works it works.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

Thanks
    DB,

All of our machines have SSDs as the System drive so Ready Boost ain't going to help. Anyway I thought we were talking about booting problems?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    DB,

All of our machines have SSDs as the System drive so Ready Boost ain't going to help. Anyway I thought we were talking about booting problems?
    I apologize if I expressed myself poorly, but since you were talking about the boot drive and I had made reference to Windows To Go, my intended experiment was to unplug the Windows To Go system drive, which is coincidentally the boot drive, once the system was running, and to plug it into the USB3 port within the one-minute maximum disconnect time, to see if it and all the programs running under it in the Windows To Go configuration would benefit of the faster connection, if it would run at all. It is exactly the same drive, but the machine would see it through the faster USB3 connection if it does see it. I'd keep the disconnect time to as short an interval as possible to give the system time to figure out what was going on, if it's capable of it.

I will perform the experiment myself if I ever get Windows To Go running on a flash drive. This has nothing to do with ReadyBoost.

Thanks
    D.B.,

I wouldn't advise that you do that. If the USB is the boot drive there will be several OPEN files and disconnecting the drive with open files is a very bad idea, just my 2 cents. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs