Thanks

DOS Path Character

Did you know that you can use either a "\" or a "/" in a DOS path?

Don't believe me? Open up a command prompt and do some CD commands, such as the following:

CD /
    CD /Temp

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/larryosterma...24/432386.aspx

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It certainly works at the Command Prompt, which you'd expect, but I can't make it work in DOS.

Thanks
    Golly, has someone just come across that again? (No, the blog is dated 2005...)
    It works in rather limited circumstances in Command Prompt windows up to and including Windows 10.
    Of course the "/" character is used by Linuxers and in URLs, but its use in BATch files is probably more trouble than it's worth.
    IMHO!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    BATcher, you and I go back into MS-DOS 3.3? Remember those good old days of \, \, and more \ ? Yes, the / in batchfiles can be problematic, best to stick with \ in paths.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    BATcher, you and I go back into MS-DOS 3.3
    Latecomer!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hey, I missed 8" floppies and their drives just by [que Get Smart/Don Adams] that much! At some school, I saw a Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80, can't remember if punch cards or cassette input corder. At my Dad's old chemical company office, the accounting department had TallGrass cassette backup assemblies, dBASE 3, Lotus 123, WordPerfect [DOS], 500 odd small accounting files on...drumroll...two 286s, each with two floppy drives, 1MG memory, and...drumroll...20MG harddrives.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-03-07 at 16:45.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hey, I missed 8" floppies and their drives just by [que Get Smart/Don Adams] that much! At some school, I saw a Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80, can't remember if punch cards or cassette input corder. At my Dad's old chemical company office, the accounting department had TallGrass cassette backup assemblies, dBASE 3, Lotus 123, WordPerfect [DOS], 500 odd small accounting files on...drumroll...two 286s, each with two floppy drives, 1MG memory, and...drumroll...20MG harddrives.
    The TRS-80 and 81 that my brother had used a tape.

I was taught on dB3 (could have been on the DOS version before DOS 6.0) and WP 5.5 - I think it was - or was it 5.3 ? I think it was the last WP version before Words for Windows 6.0 came out - '94 ? - but I didn't get my own laptop until 2010 - so just a novice

Thanks
    My first PC, in 1988, was an Atari STE1024.

It had a huge 1MB RAM, and a massive 720KB floppy disk drive (no hard disk drive or optical disk drive).

It booted from the FDD. The GEM OS, and whatever program one wanted to use, needed to be present on the floppy. So reboots were frequent.

Nevertheless that Atari PC was an eye-opener for me. Until then I had been processing my customers' accounts for my engineering business using an electronic typewriter (which I thought was fairly advanced). The Atari allowed me to cut down my time spent on monthly accounts from about two days each month to about two hours, simply because I no longer needed to re-type invoice details over-and-over again.

Look at what has happened since 1998 - Win3 -> 3.1 -> 95 -> 98/98SE -> ME (yucch!) -> Win2000 (snore) -> XP (yeah!) -> Vista (well OK but only after SP2) -> Win7 (better) -> Win7 SP1 (great - this is how Windows should be).

Now we have the Win8/8.1 debacle - why did M$ so deliberately ignore the needs of the majority of Windows users (keyboard/mouse desktop/laptop users) in favour of emerging technology touchscreen users??? Stupid.

But from trying Win10 TP so far M$ seems to have learned from past mistakes. Win10TP seems to detect user preference re keyboard/mouse or touchscreen and reacts accordingly. Yeah!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You really are a newbie. One of my earliest jobs in the tech industry was in 1976 as a test tech at Shugart Associates testing and repairing their SA800 8" floppy drives. Got my 1st PC in 1984, IBM PC, 8088 cpu, dual 360K floppies, DOS 2.1.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    You really are a newbie. One of my earliest jobs in the tech industry was in 1976 as a test tech at Shugart Associates testing and repairing their SA800 8" floppy drives. Got my 1st PC in 1984, IBM PC, 8088 cpu, dual 360K floppies, DOS 2.1.
    Well that's all well and good, but this is 2015 and things have advanced somewhat since 1976 or 1984 or 1988 or later.

OP was asking about \ or / characters in DOS path names. My answer would have to be that forward-slash / is not usually valid as a path-delimiter within DOS/Windows contexts. The backslash \ character is expected in such contexts.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The TRS-80 and 81 that my brother had used a tape.

I was taught on dB3 (could have been on the DOS version before DOS 6.0) and WP 5.5 - I think it was - or was it 5.3 ? I think it was the last WP version before Words for Windows 6.0 came out - '94 ? - but I didn't get my own laptop until 2010 - so just a novice
    Me too. I started with DOS 2.0 and db (before db2 and db3) but there is some of that still with us i.e. Ctrl-c = copy, Ctrl-v = paste and Ctrl-x = cut are throwbacks from the Word Perfect days.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I recall my DOS days, 5 and later, the forward slash / was frequently used with switches to alter what a command did, for example typing DIR gave a list of files in a Directory [changed to Folder in Win95] and typing DIR /S gave a list of the files and Directories plus their files, adding /P paused the screen scrolling for easier reading and typing DIR /S>dir.txt sent the contents to a text file for later use. The Command Prompt today uses a lot of the same DOS commands but not all of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    As I recall my DOS days, 5 and later, the forward slash / was frequently used with switches to alter what a command did, for example typing DIR gave a list of files in a Directory [changed to Folder in Win95] and typing DIR /S gave a list of the files and Directories plus their files, adding /P paused the screen scrolling for easier reading and typing DIR /S>dir.txt sent the contents to a text file for later use. The Command Prompt today uses a lot of the same DOS commands but not all of them.
    I go back to DOS 3.2, and until I read the blog post I referenced above, I never imagined that I could use a forward slash as part of a path. I have never in my life even tried to, until I read the above blog post. I have used a forward slash only for command characters, as you described.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since forward slashes only work in certain cases while backward slashes work in all cases, I see absolutely no advantage to ever using a forward slash. As BATcher said, more trouble than it's worth.