I installed XP as a new install on D:, 98 was the starting point on C:. While installing my software and performing the necessary rebooting Win XP failed to start with the message that the WindowsSystem32System file was missing or corrupted.

I have the file. The only other System file on my PC is in the Windows/REPAIR folder. It was created at the initial install. If I copy it to the System32 directory, XP starts. But I have lost all the work between the initial install and the time of the corruption.

I have created many System Restore Check Points. None of them appear when performing System Restore.

Why are my saved Check Points not available for Restore?

When I try to System Restore to Last Known Good point during XP start, without having copied System from the REPAIR directory, XP fails to start with the same message that the WindowsSystem32System file was missing or corrupted.

How does System get corrupted?

How can it be repaired?

Does XP Restore do anything useful?

How can I avoid / protect myself from corruption of the System file or ease restore from corruption?
I have heard of GoBack and Emergency Recovery System 2K/XP [from www.backtec.com]. Are such programs necessary?

Greg