Thanks

I need a good sticky-notes app

When I search for "sticky notes" programs, there seems to be a plethora of them, but as I look through the features and screenshots, they all seem to lack one feature that I really need. The ability to "stay on top". In other words, say I do a search for information on where some file(s) might be located. Say, wallpapers, for instance. Usually, you will get a list of locations. It would be nice if I could copy-'n-paste that info into a "sticky", and then place it on my screen somewhere convenient, then search using other programs, while the list stays in plain sight.

Anyone know of a good one with this feature?

Thanks;
    Artie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Stickit years ago - I'm fairly sure you could make them "always on top", though the memory plays tricks at my age.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíve tried innumerable sticky note programs and always seem to return to the one Iíve used for yonks Ė Stickies from Zhorn Software.

Itís a tiny but elegant piece of programming that, in its basic state, does exactly what it says on the tin. If you go on to dig into its various options youíll find it highly customizable Ė capable of many clever tricks, such as wake up a sticky at specific time and date, and even send a sticky from machine to machine etc. It now has quite a community of followers who contribute to such things as fancy skins.

Look no further

Download: http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stick...setup_8.0c.exe

Cheers, Chris
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

Unity (2015-03-12)

Thanks
    Thanks guys for both suggestions.

tonyl: Installed this one first. It appeared to install ok. Placed the desktop icon and opened the "readme.txt" file when finished. But it doesn't run. Nothing happens when I double-click the desktop icon, or start it from the taskbar. Nothing even shows in the task manager. So sorry, that got uninstalled.

Chris: This one installed, and ran, perfectly. Does exactly what I want, and the "stay-on-top" option is there. A bit hard to find though. You go to Options>Appearance, then check the little box that says "On top". Done.

Thanks all.
    Artie

Thanks
    Artie,

Stickies is great. You do not have to go anywhere for the "stay-on-top-option". Just click on the little triangle at the top left corner of the stickie note. It toggles the "stay-on-top" option off & on.

Jim

Thanks
    Sweet! Thanks Jim.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Stickies is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
    I’ve tried innumerable sticky note programs and always seem to return to the one I’ve used for yonks – Stickies from Zhorn Software. . . . Look no further

Download: http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stick...setup_8.0c.exe

Cheers, Chris
    I second Chris's recommendation. I've been using this program since at least Windows 98 or 2000 (or 95?), and the author keeps adding amazing features, like being able to make a specific sticky note appear only when a specific program window is open --- I use this to remind me of things in that particular program or situation. I could go on and on about the features, but briefly this is a very stable little program that allows you to control how you want your stickies to act, incl. many options for scheduling reminders. Yet with the amazing features, the interface is clean and simple, using a left click on the tray icon to start a new Stickie and a right-click context menu for other options. I use it constantly.

Edit: Be sure to reboot after installing; it may not tell you to do so, but Help will not run properly unless you do.
    Last edited by Mountain Aerie; 2015-03-07 at 16:16. Reason: rebooting, etc.

Thanks
    Thanks MA. Both for the confirmation that I picked the right program, and for the "reboot" tip. I haven't rebooted since the install, but it seems to be working properly. Nonetheless, I'll reboot now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What OS are you running? There is a sticky notes program that is supplied with newer versions of Windows. It is under "Windows Accessories". I know it is available under Windows 7 and newer. Not sure about older.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe, but the problem isn't getting "stickies". The problem was getting stickies that "stay-on-top". Chris' solution solved this. We're good.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, stickies (http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/) is the best I've found. Used it for years, and even made a donation

Tonyl (another one...)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Alternative to Sticky Notes

Artie,

If you are only contemplating using a sticky notes utility as a holding area for the clipboard, I think that you might be better served by a clipboard manager utility. I have for many years used Ditto from ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/. It captures and saves my copies to the clipboard and allows me to easily paste them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ToucheTurtle For This Useful Post:

Unity (2015-03-12)

Thanks
    Hey TT. The other "stickies" program does exactly what I need, but the program you linked to looks interesting too. I'm going to check it out also. Thanks for the link.

Artie

Thanks
    Good LAN Sticky

Over the years, I've also used the Xhorn sticky others have recommended--very good. Fyi for those with a LAN need:

For some reason, when I tried Xhorn again last October, I didn't go with it. My main requirement was the simplest & easiest way to send stickies over LAN, so that was probably why I went with Sticky Notes again [previously used in 2012, according to my Downloads folder].

Very stable and easy, has a bunch of other features, like the OP's on-top requirement.