3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore failed

I'm using an HP Envy laptop, Win 7 Pro x64, 250GB SSD for C:, 1TB USB 3 drive for data, 16GB RAM, 4GB VRAM. It has worked perfectly for a year, then one day the bootup hung with just the Desktop background, no icons, no error messages. I did a hard reset and tried Safe Mode. That took longer than the usual 35 seconds to boot, but it did complete. I tried a normal boot and it stalled again at the blank desktop. Back to Safe Mode. At this juncture, having no idea what the problem was I decided to do a system restore, something I should say I have never had to do. I got the warnings: Are you sure? etc. Clicked OK. The machine rebooted, all seemed to be going well, then up came a pop-up.

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and setting were not changed.
    Details:
    System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program was running on the computer. Temporarily disable your anti-virus program and retry System Restore.
    An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x80070005).
    You can use System Restore again and choose a different restore point"

However, the machine did boot up successfully, and continues to boot normally. Later I ran System Restore again, not all the way through, just to see how many restore points there are. There is one, so there wouldn't have been another one to try. So why would there be only one? I thought they were created each time new software is added, and before updates. Is that not true? Now the machine is running normally, I don't know what the problem was, nor do I know if the much vaunted System Restore will get me out of a jam next time there's a problem. I'm a strong believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but I'd like to know what to do when it does break.

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    For only one Restore Point:
    A - Did you check the "Show More Restore Points" box at the bottom of the screen?
    B - Are you dual booting? A dual boot clears restore points

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-03-08 at 10:53.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Now that it's working, create another restore point, reboot and check to see if it's still there if Jerry's B doesn't apply.

Last Known Good Configuration is another option you could have tried.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah! Not dual booting, but never noticed that "Show more..." check box. I see that there is a whole long list. As I said I've never used System Restore, maybe I should just try to restore, a dry run, even though I don't need to. Goes against the grain though!

Thanks for your answers.

David

jwoods
    One thing I have found when using system restore is to boot in to Safe Mode, run System Restore, then boot in to Safe Mode *again* to allow it to complete.

I have seen security software interfere if you boot into regular Windows after running System Restore.