Thanks

Windows 7 Pro; can pagefile.sys be set to equal RAM or let Windows handle sizing?

Windows 7 Pro; can pagefile.sys be set to equal RAM or let Windows handle sizing? In two computers 16GB mem, in one 8GB. Will there be a benefit to setting pagefile.sys to 16GB or less? In the 3rd - set to 8GB?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Roland,

With that much memory the page file won't be used much anyway, unless of course you load a lot of stuff at once, so just let windows manage it. What can help is if you can place the page file in it's own partition on the fastest drive in your computer.

On my desktop (12 Gb RAM) I have the windows managed pagefile on a WD Raptor drive (10,000 RPM) in it's own partition (no fragmentation problems). It's not on the system drive because that's a SSD.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I've been using at least two physical drives for over a dozen years, and have always had a 4GB fixed pagefile on a small dedicated partition on the drive that didn't have the OS. I've never understood the reasoning behind Windows managing the pagefile; seems just a waste of CPU cycles. On my laptops with a single drive, I still put the fixed pagefile on a small dedicated partition. For a SSD, it's still fixed, but I don't put it on a dedicated partition.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearen, what's the way to set it? I forgot.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual memory > Change

Clear the checkbox by "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives". If you have more than one drive, you can select the drive to which you wish to move the page file. It will normally be found on C: To move it from C:, you must highlight C: drive and select the radio button for "No paging file", then select the drive for your paging file, select the radio button for "Custom size", then use the same size for Initial size and Maximum size. Click the "Set" button. You'll have to restart to make the changes permanent.

To make a fixed-size, defragmented pagefile on the C: drive, you must first select the radio button by "No paging file", click the "Set" button, then restart. This will clear the paging file from wherever it is located (and usually multiple, fragmented locations). Next navigate back to the same Virtual Memory options and create a fixed-size paging file on C:, click the "Set" button and restart. This will create an un-fragmented pagefile 'behind' the OS on the disk, and it will remain un-fragmented, since the size won't change.

Windows won't necessarily use all of the file size at any one time, but it won't be able to reduce/increase the size, so the file can't get fragmented. I have 4096MB fixed (4GB) on a separate hard drive, but Windows has currently allocated only 4080MB.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-03-09 at 10:02. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-03-08),RolandJS (2015-03-09)

Thanks
    done

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    On my desktop (12 Gb RAM) I have the windows managed pagefile on a WD Raptor drive (10,000 RPM) in it's own partition (no fragmentation problems). It's not on the system drive because that's a SSD.
    As the SSD will seriously outperform your mechanical hard drive, why not have the page file on the fastest disk?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Most likely misplaced fear of SSD longevity...at least that's why I set it up that way. I doubt it gets used much anyway with 12Gb of Memory!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I was thinking I would bee using a cheap SSD drive for a paging drive but folk here convinced me whith 16 GB Ram it would be a waste. Now it is a W10 test drive on a dock.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    An SSD is never a waste - assuming you have installed the OS on it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There is also some discussion of the pagefile and SSDs in this WL thread: SSD endurance experiment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.