Thread: loss of sound

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

loss of sound

In January I lost all sound on my hp pavilion desktop (h8-1090t) running Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything I have tried has not helped. Searching the forum uncovers similar problems, but more than a year ago.

Any idea how I can find out how to correct this?

BTW: This applies whether I use the sound card output or the sound-via-USB approach.

Thanks
    What do you see in Device Manager? Any yellow triangles?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No yellow triangles.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    No yellow triangles.
    According to HP's support website for your h8-1090t it has "Realtek High-Definition Audio". Do you see "Realtek High-Definition Audio" in Device Manager under "Sound, video, and game controllers"? If not, then you need to download/install the Realtek driver from the HP support website.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the driver doesn't do it, see what HP Diagnostics finds for your Audio http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895819

In Device Manager right click on the Realtek HD Audio - select Properties and under the General tab will display its status, but as there aren't any yellow alerts, this will probably report it as working properly.

Once came across where adware had taken out the Audio but downloading the drivers resolved, but running AdwCleaner first on a second occasion also restored Audio.

Have you ran any anti-malware scans ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-08 at 06:01.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep - it is installed and working, per device manager.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Malwarebytes installed - the paid, active version - and I ran it separately also, without any findings.

I am going out for much of the day - will try AdwCleaner when I return.

Thanks, both, for your rapid responses.

Thanks
    Have you tried going to control panel>sound>playback tab? Make sure you have the correct device selected as default. Once you make sure there is a default device, you can use the test button for windows alerts to check for sound. If you hear nothing, select another device.
    HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In January I lost all sound on my hp pavilion desktop (h8-1090t) .... whether I use the sound card output or the sound-via-USB approach.
    No Problem Devices listed in System Information in Win7 under the Component tab?

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02028499

Not sure what "via USB" means: USB headphones/speakers or USB soundcard????

If USB soundcard, I'd say the laptop speakers have failed. Do you get output with headphones plugged in?

If USB headphones/speakers I'd say lapop audio chip has failed. Make sure a setting turning off onboard audio (if any) in the BIOS Menu is not active. Otherwise add a USB soundcard and see if your sound now works though the device.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-08 at 18:24.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried all of the hp tools that apply and it said everything is working fine. I replaced the driver using the hp tool. I ran a fresh scan of Malwarebytes. I checked all of the connections and settings. Still no sound.

BUT I also recalled that I never was able to get sound using the audio plug in the back of the pc - and the pc is almost 4 years old. I always used a product from Hello Direct that allows me to use a headset connected to the phone or pc. The gadget connects to the pc via a USB cable.

When this failed, I first replaced the gadget with a newer model, which works fine with the phone but still no pc sound. The pc detects this device and says it is working, but .... The pc does not detect anything plugged into the audio plug on the back of the pc (one of six connectors there).

I don't even know if the pc uses the sound card for my device which connects to a USB port.

So I suspect I had at least a partially non-functional sound card from the get-go. Shame on me for not pursuing this at the time I received the pc - I was concentrated on getting files transferred from my older pc which was disintegrating (physically and functionally). But I was always able to use the USB-connected headset until January.

So I feel defeated and am taking the huge risk of taking the pc into a local Microsoft store (which fixed one pc last year and substantially ruined two others later).

Thanks
    Have fixed this problem w/ Realtek audio drivers on many customers' OEM desktop PCs (laptops are a different matter) by downloading and installing the latest HD Audio drivers from Realtek's Website rather than the OEM's support website.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My pc is a desktop, so that fits your statement. Checking the Realtek website, I see three versions of R2.75 that are about 10 months old that work with Win 7 64-bit pcs. Is one of these what I want? And - if so - which one?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My pc is a desktop, so that fits your statement. Checking the Realtek website, I see three versions of R2.75 that are about 10 months old that work with Win 7 64-bit pcs. Is one of these what I want? And - if so - which one?

Thanks.
    It's the second one down that covers Win 7 x64 - same one that I use.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

globalist (2015-03-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    INCREDIBLE! Changing from the HP-supplied driver to the Realtek driver has my regular audio working for the first time since I purchased this pc 3 1/2 years ago!!! Beautiful sound!

I still have not been able to get my Jabra PRO 9450 headset (switches between phone and pc; connects via USB) working, but I am more than delighted - I am ecstatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!