2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC with paragraph numbers

I know that Word can do this, I just seem to be having a "senior moment".

I have a Word document, and assigned an outline number to each paragraph according to where it should be. All of the numbered headings have a light blue color. The top level is 14 point, second level is 12 point and the third level is 10 point. Generating the TOC is no problem, except that everything comes out in the same size font. What I wanted to have was that each level would show up at the correct font size. I know Word can do this, and it has something to do with styles. But when I mark my text with the style for Header 1, the paragraph number disappears. Can somebody point me in the direction of a wizzard or tutorial?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The TOC collects the heading text from the body and displays it in TOC styles. Typically, the Heading 1 paragraph style gets displayed in the TOC 1 paragraph style. The TOC styles, by default, autocorrect and are hidden until used. So the simpler thing to go is to ahead and apply the formatting you want to each TOC level.

If for some reason this doesn't work, I'll explain how to modify the TOC styles directly.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Pam Caswell has answered your question. Here is an additional resource.
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...fcontents.html
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried following the link, but got the same result. Even worse, when I format a line with the style Header 1, the numbering disappears and the following paragraphs continue on with their numbering from the last known outline number.

If I look into the style (and I'm no expert in this area) I don't see anything that indicates that the outline number should be included. Is there a way that I can format the headings, and then copy that information, including the outline numbering, to a style?

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

MauryS (2015-03-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What a relief! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It will take a little bit of playing around to get it just right, but for sure I am on the right track.