Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't back up system: WMI Writer in failed state

When I try to do a backup with Macrium, I get "WMI writer is in a failed state" when it tried to make a 'snapshot' to start the backup. I've removed and reinstalled Macrium, run SFC /scannow several times (the first time it said it found and fixed something, the next time it said everything was alright). I've run several different virus checkers with no results. I've run MalwareBytes and several other problem locators and, of course, rebooted numerous times. In the action center I have two messages saying that my virus proggy (AVG) isn't running and would I like to turn it on, I always say "yes", and that windows defender is off which I also say to turn on, but next time I look, I have the same messages. AVG and defender seem to be running no matter what the action center says. I'm losing what little hair I have left - lol. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    When I try to do a backup with Macrium, I get "WMI writer is in a failed state" when it tried to make a 'snapshot' to start the backup...
    See this Macrium Knowledgebase Article

Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    ...my virus proggy (AVG) isn't running and would I like to turn it on, I always say "yes", and that windows defender is off which I also say to turn on...
    Running both AVG and Windows Defender will probably cause conflicts. Normally AVG disables Defender to avoid the conflicts.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    See this Macrium Knowledgebase Article

Running both AVG and Windows Defender will probably cause conflicts. Normally AVG disables Defender to avoid the conflicts.
    I'll give the instructions in the article a try. I have been running McAfee, but it wouldn't update either which is why I switched to AVG. McAfee and Defender had been running happily together for about a year before this mess started.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, no joy. I went through all the steps in the article and each step succeeded and told me they had worked, unfortunately upon rebooting for the final time and trying Macrium, everything was the same. "WMI Writer is in a failed state" and still have the same two flags in the action center about Win Defender being turned off and no virus proggy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for this error ?

Thanks
    Can the backup be done in safe mode? Or, is this backup via USB-boot?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't tried the backup in safe mode, I'll try that next. The backup goes to an external HD via usb, but runs from the C drive in the computer. Haven't looked at the event viewer, but will do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, won't run in safe mode either. I get a little different error message but I think that it means the same thing.

Regular Windows:

NormalWindows.JPG

Safe Mode:

SafeMode.JPG

From event viewer: Windows Management Instrumentation ADAP failed to connect to namespace \\.\root\cimv2 with the following error 0x8004100a

There were a lot of other things but this is the only thing that seemed to refer to WMI.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2015-03-10 at 16:11.

Thanks
    See if this helps the backup issue:
    http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50028.aspx

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, still no joy. I followed all the directions in the article. The directions in "solution", I also made the .bat file and ran that which said it completed successfully, also downloaded the "We also provide a program which will recreate the correct registry setting and re-register all VSS components. Please download one of the below programs to fix your problem:" After running all three of these solutions, I still get the same error when trying to backup.

My hair is getting very thin and grey - lol. Most things seem to run as normal except for being to make a backup and having those two flags in the action center saying that my virus and defender need to be started, but they seem to be running anyway. I'm a very puzzled person - Ha.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just going back to one of your other problems, have you checked that AVG is up to date as that could be triggering the Action Centre alert and buggy AVs can cause a myriad of problems - and probably with the VSS.

While Safe Mode would isolate any 3rd party AV and any other 3rd party programs, I'm not sure if system imaging can work in that mode.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...While Safe Mode would isolate any 3rd party AV and any other 3rd party programs, I'm not sure if system imaging can work in that mode.
    Image for DOS from TeraByte Unlimited works outside of Windows, so avoids problems like the OP is having.

I have been using BootIt Bare Metal (which includes Image for DOS) since about 2008.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Image for DOS from TeraByte Unlimited works outside of Windows, so avoids problems like the OP is having.

I have been using BootIt Bare Metal (which includes Image for DOS) since about 2008.
    Still need to try and get the VSS working though.

Thanks
    Still need to try and get the VSS working though.
    Certainly. But OP needs an image to go back to in case of fix-failure.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just going back to one of your other problems, have you checked that AVG is up to date as that could be triggering the Action Centre alert and buggy AVs can cause a myriad of problems - and probably with the VSS.

While Safe Mode would isolate any 3rd party AV and any other 3rd party programs, I'm not sure if system imaging can work in that mode.
    Yeppers, AVG updates every time I restart it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast