5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding a video in PowerPoint (2007)

Good evening -

I'm experiencing difficulty embedding a video in a deck. I do so in the following way:

• Insert
    • Movie
    • Movie from File...
    • Select an MP4 file

This works perfectly on my computer, but when I send the PPT file to someone else, the video doesn't play. (It seems I need to send him the video file, too -- which kinda defeats the point of embedding, no?)

Is this a bug, or a feature?

If it's a feature, is there a way to truly "embed" the video in the deck, so that everything is contained in a single file (without, of course, zipping everything)?

Thanks so much!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon5 View Post
    If it's a feature, is there a way to truly "embed" the video in the deck, so that everything is contained in a single file (without, of course, zipping everything)?
    I think you could call it a feature, but one which irritates, and is not well documented (at least, not by MS, AFAIK). In PP-2000 & 2003, you have to insert a 'package' using Insert>Object>package, and it is a bit of a fiddle then 'activating' it during a slide show. Having just tried in 2010 (don't have 2007), it seems that insert>object>file works the same as >package, and the file does get embedded. There used to be an upper limit on how large a file would be embedded, but I don't know if this has changed. I just successfully embedded an 11MB mpg in a PP-2000 file, and it played fine. With big attachments, you can tell if the ppt file has something in it, but with small ones it's suck it & see.

HTH, Martin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, mngerhold.

I tried

* Insert
    * Object
    * then browsed to and selected the MP4 file

but this seems to have just inserted the actual file in the slide, with no ability to play it.

Maybe I'll need to upgrade.

Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    but this seems to have just inserted the actual file in the slide, with no ability to play it.
    When in ppt, you either have to double-click it to play (and it will look for a suitable media player), or rt-click and select something like 'Object- Activate' (I dont have ppt 2010 in front of me, only 2000). To make it play automatically during a slide show, you need to include it in any animation (custom animation, select object, check 'multimedia settings' or similar). Tell me if you get anywhere with that, and if necessary I'll go and look at ppt-2010 again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there -

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Did the custom animation, but that calls up the file externally, in Windows Movie Player, rather than playing it within the PPT.

What a pain.

Thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there -

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Did the custom animation, but that calls up the file externally, in Windows Movie Player, rather than playing it within the PPT.

What a pain.

Thanks again.
    PPT 2007 cannot embed video. This was introduced in v. 2010.
    2007 service pack 2 allows you to play (but not insert) embedded video.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha! Thanks for the clarification! Guess it's time to upgrade.