New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Don't know what happened to Windows Explorer?

I think my Windows 7 computer's registry needs a repair but don't know what to do about it. When using Windows Explorer several things don't do what I want them to do. First of all, when I double click on .txt files, they are sent to the printer instead of the default text editor. Secondly, clicking open in the context menu opens the .txt file with Notepad instead of the desired text editor. Thirdly, clicking open with in the context menu and then choose default program opens the file in the correct text editor program, but ignores the checkbox for always using this program to open .txt files. Does anybody know how to repair the affected registry entries? I have installed and then uninstalled the free Bullzip PDF Printer program which may have created a problem and also have used some registry cleaner programs. I also tried reinstalling my HP printer software, but after downloading it as required, the installation failed and I had to do a restore operation to make the printer usable. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    It appears that you file associations have become corrupted. Instructions for restoring them are here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-restore.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to Calimanco's sound advice, I would avoid using Registry cleaning programs.

Folk often say "I've used them successfully without problems" and this may be true, but it's rather like saying you've smoked cigarettes for years without getting lung cancer - so that's OK then.

The argument that "bloat" in the Registry slows a PC down is marginal at best - the Registry is a flat file and any PC capable of running Windows 7 will zip through it at lightning pace . . . unused entries which at worst are a tiny percentage of the whole thing are no more an issue than blank pages in a book.

There's a natural sense of tidiness in us all which leads to Registry cleaning, as well as excessive defragmentation. If the urge is strong then I'd stick to a mild and well-tried Registry cleaner such as the tool in CCleaner.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Calimanco's solution worked like a charm! Thank you.
    Last edited by Peachy; 2015-03-10 at 08:49.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Was it any file extension in particular or did you do all of them ? - just to clarify for anyone else having similar problems.

jwoods
    The Microsoft Fix it Solution Center is a good resource as well...

http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/