Thanks

BIOS fails to load

I am somewhat embarrassed after trying to help my brother with his Win8.1 desktop PC.

The PC has a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Rev1.0 motherboard.

My brother was having some trouble loading certain, mainly financial-related, websites in IE11. I ran the usual AM programs (MBAM, SD2.4, ADWcleaner, JRT, etc.) and that problem seemed to be fixed.

But while working on my brother's PC I noticed that the display settings did not seem to match the monitor's capabilities. The display was obviously less-than-ideal since there was a large black area around the Windows area. I therefore suggested trying another PCI-E VGA card.

After fitting the alternate PCI-E VGA card (AMD 5450) the motherboard now fails to load the BIOS (black screen after power-on, no splash-screen, nothing).

Ever since have same behaviour. Powers on, fans (incl. CPU fan) spin up but no BIOS splash screen or any other sign of BIOS having loaded. Have refitted the original VGA card, cleaned RAM contacts, etc. but no change.

Any suggestions?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Coochin,

Ok I know you've been in the business for quite a while so please don't take this the wrong way as I have done it myself! Have you reconnected the monitor to the builtin vga connector vs the one on the card? As I've said been there done that!

If not, have you tried connecting to that connector to see if you can get video that way?

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    When I run into that situation, I disconnect everything except one RAM board and the video card. If you still get no BIOS display, Then swap or check out the power supply.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, check to see if the Video card needs a separate power connector and that it's fan is spinning.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    .... Have you reconnected the monitor to the builtin vga connector vs the one on the card? ....
    I did that once in front of a client whose system was jammed into a tight spot so I had to get on the floor and feel for the connections. Pulled off the repaired unit really ticked it was not working but holding my tongue. Set it up above the desk and it fired right up. 'Oh, come on!' Took me a good 3-4 minutes before I realized what I was stupidly doing in error. Never made that mistake again.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-09 at 16:10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    ....Win8.1 desktop PC....Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Rev1.0 motherboard.
    .... the display settings did not seem to match the monitor's capabilities. The display was obviously less-than-ideal since there was a large black area around the Windows area. I therefore suggested trying another PCI-E VGA card.

After fitting the alternate PCI-E VGA card (AMD 5450) the motherboard now fails to load the BIOS (black screen after power-on, no splash-screen, nothing).

....refitted the original VGA card, ....
    I assume you unsuccessfully first tried to change the display resolution manually to its appropriate native setting?

In addition, to RetiredGeek's suggestion, I would try the monitor and cable on another system (like a laptop to verify it is working). When you moved the cable it may have failed (likely already an issue if so). Bring a known working cable with you if you have one.

Equally possible the connection is loose on the monitor or the monitor just happened to choose that time to fail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    ...have you tried connecting to that connector to see if you can get video that way?...
    Have tested both my brother's VGA card and the new VGA card in one of my workbench PCs; both work fine.

Also connected 23.6in workbench monitor to both DVI and analog onboard VGA ports (w/o VGA card in PCI-E slot); no video signal.

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...disconnect everything except one RAM board...swap or check out the power supply...
    PC has 2x4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 RAM; have tested both modules in one of my PCs, no errors; have also tried booting with each module on its own w/o success.

The case is a good-quality Antec w/ Antec PSU. PSU tests fine, all outputs are well within allowed ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Also, check to see if the Video card needs a separate power connector and that it's fan is spinning...
    Have tested both VGA cards, and tried w/ the onboard VGA (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    ...Took me a good 3-4 minutes before I realized what I was stupidly doing in error. Never made that mistake again.
    Easy to make that mistake. Several times I have been called out by customers who had moved their PC and wrongly connected the monitor cable to the onboard VGA port instead of the VGA card's port.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    I assume you unsuccessfully first tried to change the display resolution manually to its appropriate native setting?...
    Yes, before I fitted the new VGA card I checked the screen resolution and the VGA driver. The driver (nVidia) was less than a year old, and the screen resolution was max. 1920x1080.

The display quality seemed normal but the Windows desktop was using only about 90% of the screen area, with black areas top and bottom and both sides. That is what prompted me to try the new VGA card.

I have reset the BIOS/CMOS three times as per this Dell Support article (see the "3. Clearing the BIOS/CMOS by removing and reseating the CMOS battery" section). The third time I left the CMOS battery out for about 24 hours.

The CPU cooler was seated correctly. I looked for a spare CPU to test that but do not have a spare i3 socket 1155 CPU. In my experience CPU failure is very unlikely anyhow.

I have ordered a new motherboard. My usual supplier had no 1155 motherboards, however another supplier has "WHITE BOX!! ASUS H61M-K/H61M-K/2 x DDR3/1 x PCI-E3.0 x 16/4 x SATA2/4 x USB 2.0/D-Sub/DVI/ GBLAN/8..." for AU$65. This is a basic board but will do anything my brother needs.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Update Bios

I got the same problem with a GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. The Help-tech update my Bios to the latest version. And all was good now. Hope this may help.

Paul Cheuk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcheuk View Post
    I got the same problem with a GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. The Help-tech update my Bios to the latest version. And all was good now. Hope this may help.

Paul Cheuk.
    Thanks for that Paul.

You've given me a clue as to something else I can try.

Will post back w/ results.