5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office product code rejected

MS are a PITA.

I reinstalled Win 8.0 on my wifeís machine due to problems, have spent the entire morning trying to get the internet working without an Ethernet trailing from one room to another (so far without success), still have the upgrade to Win 8.1 to look forward to, and now the product code was rejected when I tried to install Office.

Office Home and Student 2010 was supposed to be valid for three PCs, and has only been installed on two, and having checked the code several times, have come to the conclusion that MS feel itís time we bought a later version. I must have spent half an hour trying to resolve the issue, but no dice. Most links re Office just lead to the sales page; I eventually found a link for reinstalling H & O 2010, but the page doesnít exist anymore.

So the wife will have to make do with Open Office or Libre Office, and we will both postpone an upgrade to Win 10.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    IF that computer doesn't yet have Internet access and the Office key is being rejected by the installation process it usually means the wrong key is being used or being mistyped. The CD, DVD or downloaded file is coded to recognize a correct key. It doesn't matter about the case, either lower-case or upper-case should work. I always use upper-case just because it looks better. Internet access to Microsoft becomes involved after installation when trying to Activate the program.

Thanks
    i have both Libre Office and Open Office -- so far, so good
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The phone number for MS Product Activation (UK) is 0800 018 8354 (according to www.saynoto0870).

If that one's just a mechanical voice then give them a bell on 0118 909 7800 which is the main switchboard and then ask to be put through to the relative dept.

Explain that you are reinstalling and they should activate without using up all of the licences.

As for Wireless connectivity, have you checked in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters (and/or Non-Plug and Play Drivers) for any yellow alerts.

If you can connect wired, you may get a driver update through Windows Updates.

Clean installs don't have any drivers - was there a reason why you didn't do a Refresh, Reset or Repair install ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-09 at 10:43.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had MS Office on two machines for a long time (and on a third for a period). I've reinstalled it on both without any problems - they activated straight away.

A quick Google on the problem got me this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    i have both Libre Office and Open Office -- so far, so good
    Which do you prefer? And why, if that is not asking too much.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    IF that computer doesn't yet have Internet access and the Office key is being rejected by the installation process it usually means the wrong key is being used or being mistyped. The CD, DVD or downloaded file is coded to recognize a correct key. It doesn't matter about the case, either lower-case or upper-case should work. I always use upper-case just because it looks better. Internet access to Microsoft becomes involved after installation when trying to Activate the program.
    The product key is quite clearly printed on the case, as is X3 Family Pack, and it has been repeatedly checked after entering on the PC but is rejected as invalid. This became ineligble when I tried to download.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The phone number for MS Product Activation (UK) is 0800 018 8354 (according to www.saynoto0870).

If that one's just a mechanical voice then give them a bell on 0118 909 7800 which is the main switchboard and then ask to be put through to the relative dept.
    They're in Reading, not a million miles from the OP and just a 20 minute drive from me.

Tell you what, georgelee, I'll nip in there tomorrow and ask them

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    They're in Reading, not a million miles from the OP and just a 20 minute drive from me.

Tell you what, georgelee, I'll nip in there tomorrow and ask them
    A generous offer, but I'll give them a ring.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Sudo. I didn’t realise MS actually answer queries on the phone. The only time I phoned, a long time ago and probably to a US number, they wanted $90 before they would discuss anything. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Yes I tried Device Manager and deleted the wireless adaptor as you recommended, and sure enough it was restored after a reboot. But I couldn’t find a w/less adaptor on the problem PC. I clicked on Broadcom 10/100 instead, but as it took a long time to be deleted, and I recall seeing it back in the days of Win 95 or 97, I chickened out and cancelled the uninstall.

After spending most of the day trying to restore the network and get T/bird working, I remembered that the laptop also receives my wife’s emails rather than mine. I took it down to the kitchen and all the emails since midnight last night were there. Much to my surprise, when I came back up to my study I noticed the blue light flashing on the Netgear adaptor –which had a firmware update earlier. Not only was the wireless working, but it was asking for the network password, and this time it was accepted. So no more Ethernet cable to trip on, but unable to get T/B working, wife unable to remember her user name.

I chose a clean install, wanting to get rid of the phantom removable drives showing ever since the mishap with the only image of that PC immediately after installing Mozbackup and using it to make a backup.

The plan was to copy the T/B AppData files to a USB stick immediately after supper, so as to have all the emails for my wife, then install Win 8 from the DVD, estimated to complete about midnight, which would enable me to download FF and the MS updates during the free d/l period, and hopefully get to bed at my usual 1.30.

After supper, the PC was woken up, and requested a reboot so that it could sort out the phantom drives. It took ages to scan, then when I returned it was stuck at the Dell screen with F2 for setup, etc. Thinking it was making changes I left it for 30 mins or so, nothing changed, and the only way out was to hold the start button until it closed down. After a couple of reboots the Win 8 install began, I selected keep nothing but still didn’t get a clean install. The phantom removable drive D, which had frustrated attempts to test the rescue disk until I renamed it S, which shows as drive S(D) is still there.

All this took longer than planned, went to bed at 2.20 am, leaving the Windows updates to install overnight, had not got to sleep when the cat wanted to be fed 20 mins. later, then again at 5.20, after which i didn’t sleep again. Dead tired after about 2.5 hours sleep, had to spent the day struggling with a PC. The update to W8.1 planned for tonight will have to wait another day. I sometimes wonder whether computers really are worth the bother.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ah but think of the joy when it's back up and running with no more earache from she who must be obeyed

BTW - This any good ? http://my.thunderbird.edu/signups/passwordreset.asp - may have to use the e-mail contact option ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-09 at 20:15.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The product key is quite clearly printed on the case, as is X3 Family Pack
    I once encountered this problem on a new retail package that was purchased at Office Max. How could anything go wrong with a printed key from a company like Office Max? HA.
    My solution was to call Microsoft support to complain. In less than 5 minutes they issued me a new key that was good for 3 installs.
    i never got an explanation. What I got was a very quick solution.
    It might be worth a try.
    Good luck,
    Michael

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael37713 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2015-03-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...no more earache from she who must be obeyed...
    Careful there mate... There be dragons!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I must take back the comment about Microsoft, and apologize for wasting everyone’s time. It turned out to be my error.

MS may be in Reading, but my call yesterday was put through to India or somewhere in that area. The line was awful, I was asked for my first name, then nothing. My next call was answered by a lady with an American accent, and as the line was somewhat better, it can be assumed she was in the US. After 10 – 15 minutes waiting for the product key to be verified, I was told to ring back in an hour, as there were problems. As we were going out then, it was postponed until today.

This morning the line was much better, probably answered in Reading. After reading out the key, the gentleman asked if that was all, as he only had 23 characters. The last 2 groups were QXF39-38KYF, and he had missed the 39 – I have a feeling I read the 39 as thirtynine, then the 38 as separate numbers, which he must have taken as a correction. Whilst sorting this out, it struck me that the 8 might be B. At which point my wife returned from taking a neighbour’s child to school, and confirmed it was a B.

Sure enough, it installed without a hitch when the correct key was used. Perhaps a new pair of glasses are called for, as I do not remember any problems installing Home & Student on the other two machines in 2010 and2013.