Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need advice on a new HD win 7 install ? NEW Question Pls.

My friends HP hard drive quit so I need to download a ISO of windows 7 pro 64bit from MS recovery web site, install a used 1tb HD that I have to give him, reinstall the win7 to this drive.

What would be your scenario to get this done?

INFO: He didn't copy the win 7 from the hidden partition or do any backups.
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2015-03-13 at 08:24.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be a cheaper option to contact HP for a set of OEM disks for your friend's model as if you only have the COA sticker key, that isn't likely to work in order to download the Win 7 ISO - because of that, your friend would be looking at the cost of a Win 7 Pro install disk from MS.

What was the original OS on the machine ?

Thanks
    I agree with Sudo15, I posted this article in another thread:
    Microsoft Windows 7 is now downloadable for free – if you own a legal retail copy. According to a LifeHacker story, Microsoft has at last added a direct download to their website for an ISO of the popular 2009 operating system, after the previous downloads were removed from their digital distribution partner, Digital River, last year. Users will need a valid Microsoft Windows 7 retail key to download the file, which can be then be burned to a blank DVD or used to create a bootable USB flash drive.
    For the particularly technically-savvy, Windows 7 can also be installed from a virtual machine or virtual drive.

That being said, there are still some major limitations. Microsoft will only unlock the Windows 7 download for a copy purchased independently at retail, which is to say, only keys from copies of Windows purchased in a store, from an authorized website or from the Microsoft website itself, will work. If your copy of Windows 7 came with your PC, otherwise known as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copy, you’re out of luck; OEM users will be met with an “Unsupported Product” message when attempting to verify their Windows product keys.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1882947/mic...sitr+-+News%29

Thanks
    His is OEM from HP and on the defunct HD.

So my Downloading the iso and burning it to a DVD will be useless ...huh?

That being the case, i'll have him call HP for a disk.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    ....So my Downloading the iso and burning it to a DVD will be useless ...huh?
    Not at all. You simply use the product key on the side of the case. That is what it is there for. But you will need a copy of the Win7 disk that matches the key (ex: Pro, 64-bit). OEM (like you buy at Newegg), Upgrade or Retail works.

You will have to activate it. Usually online. But if worse comes to worse, and you cannot activate over the phone with their automated system then you would tell the person on the other end that the hard drive died and you are clean installing the OS on a new boot drive under the terms of the EULA.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-10 at 11:34.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Not at all. You simply use the product key on the side of the case. That is what it is there for. But you will need a copy of the Win7 disk that matches the key (ex: Pro, 64-bit). OEM (like you buy at Newegg), Upgrade or Retail works.

You will have to activate it. Usually online. But if worse comes to worse, and you cannot activate over the phone with their automated system then you would tell the person on the other end that the hard drive died and you are clean installing the OS on a new boot drive under the terms of the EULA.
    If you have a Win 7 OEM machine, have you tried entering your COA sticker key into http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

This site is where all links for Win 7 ISOs end up at as the primary downloads have been pulled.

I think Jagworld would have to contact MS to see if they'll authorise the download or they may refer him to HP.

Thanks
    ...and OP has informed Mr.NoBackup that all his data & pics will be joining cyber-heaven the moment the new ReInstall is begun?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...and OP has informed Mr.NoBackup that all his data & pics will be joining cyber-heaven the moment the new ReInstall is begun?
    As in the opening post, as the HDD has failed and the reinstall is onto a different HDD, then loss of data is academic.

Thanks
    Since MS changed the rules a bit for D/L of win 7 ISO's, the only thing the sticker on the side of the computer means is that he will have to contact HP for the disks. Scenario 2 is buying a Win 7 disk from MS or a retailer such as Newegg, amazon, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As in the opening post, as the HDD has failed and the reinstall is onto a different HDD, then loss of data is academic.
    You're correct! I forgot that was mentioned! Next time, I should reRead the opening
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NO IT DOES NOT! Jagworld just needs to get a Win7 Pro 64-bit disk from someone (assuming they do not already have one) and it will install just fine with the product key on the case. "But you will need a copy of the Win7 disk that matches the key (ex: Pro, 64-bit). OEM (like you buy at Newegg), Upgrade or Retail works."

Thanks
    Facsist Nation:
    I understand your answer as a work around to jagworld's problem and if he could find a win 7 disk matching the correct version, that might work.
    His original question was
    I need to download a ISO of windows 7 pro 64bit from MS recovery web site
    and that won't work from what I read and posted in post #3 and that is also what Sudo15 has been alluding to.
    Since HP probably has a record of the computer in question, it may be simpler to just try for a disk there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I once had to do a reinstall to get back in using a Digital River ISO and I had to use Toshiba's generic key as the COA sticker didn't work.

Some vendors COA sticker keys are the same as their generic keys (I've learned) - Belarc Advisor will display this to check - and that is why some COA sticker keys work and some don't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    His is OEM from HP and on the defunct HD.

So my Downloading the iso and burning it to a DVD will be useless ...huh?

That being the case, i'll have him call HP for a disk.
    You might know someone who has a Win7 installation DVD you could borrow.

It doesn't matter what edition of Win7 the person you borrow the DVD from has; all the Win7 installation DVDs I have seen actually have the different editions on them ("Home Premium", "Professional", "Ultimate"). The edition that will be installed is determined by the product key.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2015-03-11)

Thanks
    (It doesn't matter what edition of Win7) !!

Thanks coochin as I didn't know that, I have my DVD of MS win7 home prem and never thought of being able to use it for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast