Thanks

Users, Groups, Permissions, Remote Access

Every since Microsoft made networking "easy" for home computing it has been hard - for me, anyway - to do anything complex. Here's something that's been really bugging me and causing a lot of extra work. I wonder if there is a solution...

The scenario:

All computers are running Windows 7 Pro and all are up-to-date.

An application on the cash-register system saves log files to a back-office system. Both are on the same LAN. Cash-register user (we'll call it SSSS) ends up being the owner of the destination directory and its content. Cash-register\SSSS does have a user account on back-office so it can save these logfiles and its backups.

I have my-computer sitting here at my desk at a remote location from the store and of course I log on to it with my own username, not with "SSSS". My local LAN is connected to the store LAN via VPN. My username and most of my environment is duplicated on the back-office system at the store. Every morning the Windows scheduler opens Windows Explorer on my-computer pointing at the directory on the back-office computer where the logfiles are stored. I check them, but I cannot delete them because they are owned by SSSS.

My local user on the back-office system is an administrator. If I login to that system and navigate to the directory in question on the drive I use for storing backups, I am able to delete these files. But I cannot delete them from my-computer.

Now let's say I login to the back-office system and navigate to the directory where these log files are stored and edit the permissions. I click the Sharing tab and then Share. It shows me a list of two users. One is back-office\SSSS and it is listed as the owner. The other is back-office\my-username and has read/write permissions. "Shucks" I can't do much with that. So I go back to the Sharing tab and click Advanced Sharing. Then I click Permissions and here I see two groups: Everyone and "Administrators (back-office\administrators)". Both groups have Full Control, Change, and Read permissions enabled. My username, local and remote, is in both groups. So my first question is why can't I delete files from this directory from within Windows Explorer on my-computer? I can see them but cannot delete them.

That's just the current hassle that's prompting my posting, but there's a bigger issue...

If you've still got that last Permissions box open, notice that the permission is "Administrators (back-office\administrators)". The computer name is part of the username. I would like to be able to create usernames with my-computer as part of the name. Remember, my-computer is the one in front of me, back-office is the remote one where I wish to create my-computer\my-username. If I click Advanced Sharing and then Permissions there is a field to input a Location and one for adding usernames. But it will not allow me to put in my-computer as the location. I fail to see the use of a location field if I cannot specify the contents. I stumble across this obstacle occasionally. I often would like to specify a location other than the local computer name when setting permissions, but only the local computer name will be accepted. What am I doing wrong? How can I get control of this aspect of my network?

I manage all of the computers in the store remotely through the VPN. I use Remote Desktop extensively, but I cannot take over these systems during the day because they are very actively used. So I try to do as much as I can through Windows Explorer's "Network" facility and I'd really like to figure this all out. Can anyone help?

I am posting this to the Windows 7 forum because it seems more OS than networking. Feel free to move it or tell me to move it if it would be more appropriate in networking.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I'm moving this thread to Networking to get wider exposure.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried adding the name Everyone to the Permissions list and giving that full control ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you tried adding the name Everyone to the Permissions list and giving that full control ?
    There's "Share" and "Advanced Sharing" under the Sharing tab in the folder properties. Everyone was already in Advanced sharing with full control and I could not delete a file remotely. I assumed that would override the basic "Share" setting so I hadn't thought about adding Everyone to the basic settings. I just now I added Everyone to the basic "Share" setting and tried to delete a file remotely and it still doesn't work. Does Everyone really mean everyone in the universe or does it just mean back-office\Everyone?

Lounger
    Thanks
    There are share rights and then there are security rights. After you setup the share, then setup security.
    You can add EVERYONE to security rights and give that group FULL CONTROL if you like.
    that will basically give ANYONE full rights to the folder.

Next to the sharing tab is the security tab. That is where you want to go.
    It is something to be aware of, in terms of security, but should fix your issue

Thanks
    I was really excited about this, but Everyone already has all but "special permissions" allowed. I went right up the directory tree to the drive itself adding Everyone at every level and giving full control - making this the least secure drive in my whole system - and I still cannot delete a file using Windows Explorer through the VPN. (So I deleted Everyone from the drive level.)

Is there some way to get the remote computer to recognize my local computer as a "location" when assigning permissions?

Thanks