Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Updates

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates

Hi. I recently had my laptop running Windows 8.1 in for repairs and had the hard drive wiped. Although I had an image backup performed before sending my machine in, I haven't been able to replace all my programs and Windows was reinstalled, minus recent updates. Also, I had to reinstall Office (2010). There are dozens of updates listed as important, some for Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, both Service Pack 1, dating back to 05/04/12. Do I need to install all the updates listed and can I be sure that any old updates that caused problems when first released won't be included?
    Hoping someone can help with this as I don't want to install any unnecessary or bad updates.
    Regards, GinaR.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GinaR View Post
    ...Hoping someone can help with this as I don't want to install any unnecessary or bad updates...
    Tomorrow is "patch Tuesday" when M$ releases the monthly Windows Updates (Tuesday in the USA, Wednesday here in AUS). It is usually best to wait at least three or four days before installing the latest WU patches, hopefully by then any bad patches will have been withdrawn or fixed.

Edit 10:16PM 10MAR15: Best to install "critical" and "important" updates first, but about 30 at a time. After all "critical" and "Important" updates look at .net framework updates, Office updates, and any "optional" updates.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-03-10 at 08:21. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-10)

Thanks
    Its important to install all the updates which are not marked as optional to maintain the security of your OS and you should also know that some updates rely on previous updates to be present before they will install. Any bad updates will have been withdrawn or reissued by now, so you shouldn't have problems there. With current updates, as has been said, its worth waiting a few days to let someone else find the bad patch and complain about it so you don't have to.
    I would, however, also recommend installing the optional updates as they often fix minor bugs and improve the functionality of whatever MS program they are associated with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco. I appreciate your advice and will install all old updates. I wait for the green light from Woody before installing new updates. I was advised by a young computer guy never to install updates, but I wasn't comfortable with that as Woody says that it is necessary to install them when safe to do so and I'm pleased to get your confirmation of this. This young guy also said not to use Firefox as they have had some issues lately and I used to use that most of the time. He also advised against using Malwarebytes as it can be used by malware and adware and to only use Windows Defender. Do you know of any issues with either of these programs please?
    Thanks again for your reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Coochin. My main concern was regarding old updates which were wiped off my hard drive. On Woody's advice I don't install new updates until he give the ok.

Thanks
    Taking your questions in order:-
    1/ Firefox is an excellent browser. I use it as my alternative to IE. As for issues, it depends what you mean by issues. Any security holes that are discovered (find me a browser that hasn't got any of those - please!) are fixed in the monthly releases.
    2/ Malwarebytes, in my opinion, is probably the best anti malware program available. Some people have downloaded a bogus version of the program by visiting a malicious web site, but that's user naivety or carelessness and nothing to do with the program itself.
    3/Defender, as MS have admitted, is a very basic program offering the minimum amount of protection for new users and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity with something more effective. If you don't want to pay for an anti virus program, many have free versions that come without all the bells and whistles but which are much more effective than Defender.

Thanks
    It is now 8:51PM on Wednesday 11 March 2015 here in Australia, which corresponds to Tuesday 10 March 2015 in the USA. "Patch Tuesday".

I just checked WU and there are 21 "Important" and one "Optional" updates waiting to be installed. At this point I have no intention of installing any of these updates before Saturday.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

Thanks
    I am currently downloading for installation 44 Important Updates. I have Windows Update set to Notify Only, and I was notified this morning when I logged on that there were important updates (no notification yesterday, Tuesday March 10).

I don't mind being a guinea pig, my drive images will always get me back to a good place. I always accept and install Windows Updates with the exception of driver updates; those I always hide. I prefer my drivers to come from the manufacturer.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I installed 36 updates a few minutes ago, after imaging. No issues at all.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

Thanks
    I had 33 updates this morning. All installed correctly. There was only one restart and there were no glitches. I cant see any on line chatter about any problems either. This is what's included:-

https://threatpost.com/microsoft-pat...ability/111565

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had 45 in total, several for Office 2010...I checked on a couple of Forums first and then installed them all with no issues.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I had the same count as Trev. Imaged my C: drive and had at it. All successful and things running fine so far.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

GinaR (2015-03-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Taking your questions in order:-
    1/ Firefox is an excellent browser. I use it as my alternative to IE. As for issues, it depends what you mean by issues. Any security holes that are discovered (find me a browser that hasn't got any of those - please!) are fixed in the monthly releases.
    2/ Malwarebytes, in my opinion, is probably the best anti malware program available. Some people have downloaded a bogus version of the program by visiting a malicious web site, but that's user naivety or carelessness and nothing to do with the program itself.
    3/Defender, as MS have admitted, is a very basic program offering the minimum amount of protection for new users and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity with something more effective. If you don't want to pay for an anti virus program, many have free versions that come without all the bells and whistles but which are much more effective than Defender.
    Thanks Calimanco. Will install Firefox and Malwarebytes as before.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I installed 36 updates a few minutes ago, after imaging. No issues at all.
    I installed the updates and I no longer have sound. A message box pops up saying windows was unable to autofix it.
    Also you tube videos play for a few seconds then error out. I dunno if this is a Java clash or what.
    Any tips on how to fix it would be good.

Thanks
    It would be helpful to know which browser you are using.
    Check Device Manager for an error with the sound driver. If one is shown, download the latest driver from your PC manufacturers web site.
    YouTube now uses HTML5 instead of Flash where possible. Right click on a video and make sure its selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast