New Lounger
    Thanks

Sleep inhibits Desktop Background Slide Show changes

Summary: after the pc wakes from sleep, the desktop background pictures do not change until a manual change is made or the pc rebooted.

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center - all updates appled.

I have two monitors and in Personalise, Desktop Background I chose the folder containng my pictures and the "Shuffle" option. It works perfectly and each monitor displays a different picture and a change is made, one monitor at a time, at the interval I set.

However, after the computer goes into Sleep mode, when it is woken the changes do not happen; the same pictures stay put forever. If I then manually prompt for the next picture I do get the change and after that everything works again - until the next Sleep.

Any idea what is causing the backgrounds to "stick" and how might I cure it?

Relevant info:
    Each monitor is run from a different graphics card, one on the motherboard and one a separate card.

To manually change to the next picture I run this vbs via a Shortcut icon:
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys("^ ")
    WshShell.SendKeys("+{F10}")
    WshShell.SendKeys("n")

I do not have Hibernate enabled but it makes no do difference if I do.

Sleep can be triggered by Time Out, keyboard button, Start icon-Shut down-Sleep; they all have the same effect.

Everything is fine after boot up; the problem arises only after Sleep.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithxl View Post
    ...Relevant info:
    Each monitor is run from a different graphics card, one on the motherboard and one a separate card...
    First thing I would try is have both monitors connected to the graphics card (if possible). Usually if a VGA card (graphics card) is fitted the motherboard's BIOS/UEFI will try to disable the motherboard's "onboard VGA".

Most modern VGA cards have at least two output ports, often three; DVI (the longer white port), analog (the shorter blue port) and sometimes HDMI (looks similar to a USB port, but keyed to work only with HDMI cables). Have also seen a few VGA cards that had DP (display port) socket.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Interesting, intriguing and confusing, all at the same time. Yes, connecting the secondary monitor to the same graphics card as monitor 1 started the cure process. After that the wallpapers changed as they should.

Not before revealing a sneaky bit of Windows startup performance though: I reduced the change time from 10 minutes to 10 seconds to see the effects quicker. At first it seemed that the monitor change had not worked on the wallpaper issue. Then, after just over a minute, the wallpaper changes started, changing one after the other very quickly before settling down to the correct timing. It seems that Windows declares the store is open for business very fast but is still stacking shelves down the back. It takes that minute for that particular feature to load and operate.

A further confusion concerned the monitor numbers. I have a vbs script that identifies the file name of the wallpaper and opens it in Explorer. That stopped working for monitor 2 after I connected it to the same card as monitor 1. Previously, the paths in the registry to the had been to TranscodedImageCache_000 for monitor 1 and TranscodedImageCache_001 for monitor 2 - all very understandable.

After some masterly wild guess work, I changed the path for monitor 2 to TranscodedImageCache_002 and it worked. But - and I am sure any explanation will make my brain hurt - the path for monitor 1 is still TranscodedImageCache_000.

So, issue eventually resolved - thanks again for the starter - Windows revealed as sneaky (no surprise there) and computers confirmed as having a logic all of their own.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update - I was wondering where TranscodedImageCache_001 has got to. In my UEFI setup, I had the Integrated Graphics Configuration set to PEG. Changing it to IGD meant that 002 stopped working and 001 was restored to health and efficiency.

I'm off now to find out more about the differences between PEG and IGD and why.