New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot access shares after PC Cleaner

One of my users downloaded PC Cleaner Pro, realized it was malware and removed it. Afterward, his shares on other servers would not work.

He is using Win 7 Home Premium, fully patched. His PC can still browse the web, ping, etc, but "map network drive" gives a 80070057 error. Trying to do "net use ..." at command line gives System Error 53.

I have run malwarebytes, which only turned up a few items, but did not help with the basic problem.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
    I suggest using sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to check the basic system files are OK before anything else.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    And if Rick's suggestion doesn't fix the problem, try a System Restore to an earlier date.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried system restore, the malware appears to have blocked/corrupted the restore points. Pretty tricky. It seems strange that the other network functions work, but sharing does not. Incidentally, the shares that don't work are on a Win 2000 server and a Win 2008 server. If I try to browse to the share, it will see the server, but when I click on the server to see the shares, it errors out with a "diagnose or cancel" window. Very frustrating.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Infections can leave some services disabled, see if http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%2...icesRepair.exe will reinstate any.

There may also be some suggestions in this article that could help. https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-11 at 05:43.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shlutz View Post
    I tried system restore, the malware appears to have blocked/corrupted the restore points. Pretty tricky. It seems strange that the other network functions work, but sharing does not. Incidentally, the shares that don't work are on a Win 2000 server and a Win 2008 server. If I try to browse to the share, it will see the server, but when I click on the server to see the shares, it errors out with a "diagnose or cancel" window. Very frustrating.
    Try System Restore in Safe Mode.

Jerry