3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"The requested operation requires elevation" error with zipped files

Win 8.1 Pro x64 (clean install Dec 2014). After years of no problems with zipped files, since Feb 3 I've been getting an "elevation error" when trying to open them in Windows Explorer directly or after downloading and taken the Open choice with Internet Download Manager (see the screenshots). OTOH, zipped files do open directly from another file manager, XYplorer, and I can open them via my default zipped file extractor IZarc. Although I hand't changed anything, I thought of Permissions as the source of the problem, but all three items in Group/User Names for both the folder and files have all permissions checked except for special permissions. Any idea what might be causing this? Since I didn't make any config changes, I'm wondering if a Windows update could be behind it. This is a single user desktop PC with a single account. Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-03-10 at 14:24.

Thanks
    For starters, I would try sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try right clicking on the zip file and selecting Properties. If the "Unblock" icon is at the bottom, click it and try to open the zip file again.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had run scannow and Windows 8 Mgr, but to no avail. I'll give the other a try. In the meantime, I tried another approach that I should have thought of first: change the .zip file association to Windows Explorer and see if the problem clears up. It did, which suggests IZArc is the culprit. I've written them.
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-03-10 at 15:16.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow up: To test Paul's suggestion, I went to change the Windows default association back to IZArc, but there's no "zip" listing there anymore. I rebooted a couple of times and uninstalled/reinstalled IZArc and checked its associations, but Windows is still opening with zip files. This is puzzling. Any ideas? Thanks,

Update: Setting IZArc as the default from the context menu appears to have solved all three issues: default, no more "elevation" error so far and zip back in Windows file associations list.
    Last edited by highstream; 2015-03-10 at 16:12.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I only use Windows to open zip files via association. If I want to do something a little more interesting I use 7zip portable.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Postings crossed. See my update. I like IZArc for everything.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like IZArc isn't ready for the big time.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A glitch like that could occur with most any program.