5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista to Win7 upgrade, data and M$FT Office 2007 especially Outlook emails and address book

Computer #1
    Dell Inspiron 530 32-bit Win7 Enterprise SP1 desktop
    2.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core 300GB HDD / 500GB external hard drive for backups
    --- This computer original OS was Vista Home Premium

Computer #2
    HP Compaq-Presario FQ582AA-ABA SR5710F Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit desktop
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon Dual Core 250GB HDD

I volunteer at a small non-profit organization and Iíd like to do the following
    Upgrade computer #2 to Win7 Enterprise SP1 with their volume licensed USB Upgrade ISO acquired from TechSoup
    --- Iím not familiar on how to do that yet; recommendations welcome
    --- I have done a Vista Home Premium to Windows7 Home Premium at home using a disc from TigerDirect but Iím wondering if there is more information in installing from a USB ISO

Then I will need to install Microsoft Office 2007 onto computer #2
    --- They do have the disc and it is volume licensed from TechSoup
    --- Then Iíll have data to transfer and Iíd appreciate advice on how to do that
    ------ I believe I can do so manually but better ideas as mentioned are appreciated
    Then thereís their Microsoft Outlook emails and address book which is my main dilemma
    ------ Iíve looked up how to transfer what they have but Iím having a difficult time understanding what Iíve researched so far; please help

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to run the setup.exe file on the USB drive to start the Upgrade but BE SURE it is the 32-bit version, same as your Vista, or if the Upgrade is 64-bit you will need to do a clean install. The Upgrades I've done over Vista didn't lose any programs or data but some older programs didn't work well. Changing to 64-bit can incur having to get compatible drivers. Going from 64-bit to 64-bit or 32-bit to 32-bit is not a problem but 32-bit to 64-bit or 64-bit to 32-bit requires the clean install.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-10)

Thanks
    Then there’s their Microsoft Outlook emails and address book which is my main dilemma
    The outlook email and address book will be in a hidden folder but you should be able to export and save, then import to the new outlook installation. Googling it has a number of hits from MS support on where to find the folders so you can copy them to a thumbdrive and then import them to the new install.
    Hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    The outlook email and address book will be in a hidden folder...
    Usually the Outlook 2007 files will be at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

The AppData folder is hidden by default so you will probably have to go to Control Panel\Folder Options and temporarily change the "Hidden files and folders" setting on the View tab so you can access the AppData folder.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-11)

Thanks
    Both the Emails and Contact lists reside in the .pst file in use, typically outlook.pst. it will also contain you calendar and task lists as well.
    You can either import the information from this pst file into the new Outlook or replace the new Outlook.pst file with the old one.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank everyone again and let you know I have recorded your recommendations for future purposes

I went to the office on Monday to conduct the Vista to Win7 upgrade as I said
    --- At first I was disappointed because they had a change of plans and said that I didn't have to do my project

What was their change of plans? They were going to have a local computer shop come in and take the computer of their hands for free. Well I "barked" back somewhat like why are you giving away a computer in such good shape when it can be easily be upgraded to Windows 7. To make a long story, they did not want a spare computer hanging around not knowing whether or not they will ever need it

Well all of that resulted in good news though. Since I volunteer for them as well as help other volunteers keep their computers up-to-date, safe & secure, they offered to let me have the computer for free: no issue there. I know a family who is going without a computer because they can't afford one but they will now

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nice to see useful hardware going to those in need.

cheers, Paul