Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error code 80072EFE

Suddenly when I check to see if there are any Windows Updates for my 8.1 installation, I am getting this error message and am unable to check for updates. I have run several antimalware checkers (Norton, Malwarebytes, ADWcleaner) and rootkit checkers. All returned negative results. I also tried a clean boot but that had no effect. I also ran the Windows Troubleshooter for this problem and it says it fixes several issues but the problem is still there.

I can restore to an earlier image copy of Windows if necessary but I am trying to avoid that if possible. Anyone else experiencing this or have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already done all that stuff too with zero effect.

Thanks
    Try Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All In One)

Fixes many common Windows problems. Best to run it with the default settings, and run the final "repairs" step in Safe Mode.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin but running that didn't do anything for me. Great tool though. I've added it to my set of troubleshooting tools. I'll wait another day or two to see if I can find a solution. If no solution, I'll restore my image from a couple of months ago.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the problem. I had made a policy change that was advised. Turned out to be a mistake because that change made some web sites (including Windows Update) return an error code. I changed the policy to what it was previously and the problem was solved.