2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop (not responding) error(?) & how to fix it

Was removing some malware(?) which was constantly putting Yahoo in as the primary search engine in IE but that left the alphabetic order of programs in "Programs and Features" totally disordered.

I then noticed that when I clicked on the File Explorer Icon in the task bar then clicked on the desktop item (expecting a list of directories & files) that Desktop came up empty. The actual desktop (screen) I created with shortcuts to most of my directories is fully populated and working with the exception that there is NO desktop shortcut any longer. A reboot did not correct this.

Note that clicking the File Explorer shows the directories in my desktop pointing at "This PC" and showing directories Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. If I click on Desktop I get "This folder is empty" and Desktop (not responding) appears in the Title bar.
    Also, note that I can click and move to the other directories and to their sub-folders.

I don't want to do any further activity on this in this condition fearing I could complicate an otherwise easy fix. Hope someone has such a fix.
    Last edited by spark55; 2015-03-10 at 19:40. Reason: clearity

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if rebuilding the icon cache would sort that for you but you give these steps a try. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuil...-cache-windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While saving my user files and doing some simultaneous cleanup I managed to trip whatever was doing me dirt. The File Explorer now displays the desktop dirs. & files OK.
    Created a shortcut in lieu of the folder which I had previously used. All now seems tickity-poo!! Whew!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad you were able to get that sorted and thanks for the update.

It's a pity you weren't able to nail down the cause as that could have helped others who found themselves with the same problem.

You can use the Tread Tools dropdown to Mark thread as Solved.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Believe I was infested by Yahoo & Sigspot. Realized too late and had removed their dir tree.