Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Macrium Reflect V6

Hey Y'all,

I see that Macrium Reflect version 6 came out in mid Feb. Has anyone given this a go yet? If so, how does it stack up against V5? Inquiring Minds want to know...and so do I.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It works fine! The feature which interested me was "Incrementals Forever", which (roughly speaking) creates a user-specified number of incremental files which get updated each time you run the backup. A downside I've found is that the base file 00-00 seems to be larger than a Full Backup in R5, and that incrementals tend to be larger. This new incremental backup process takes longer than the V5 incremental backup, anything up to twice the time. You can also be surprised by the File Modified dates of these incremental files, and need to turn on a column for File Created in your Windows Explorer substitute to see what has happened.

There are no doubt additional New and Improved features, but I haven't had time to address them.

The Macium Reflect Free v6 is not out yet, but is promised for the near future - the contained features are not yet defined.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    BATcher,

Thanks for the info!

How do the times for full Images compare?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How much does it cost to upgrade from Vers. 5 to version 6?
    Thank you,
    Dick

Thanks
    Dick,

It depends on when you bought your V5 copy. If you go to the Macrium site you'll find a place where you can copy in your license number and they will send an email to your registered address telling you the cost of upgrade. I believe if you purchased after sometime in Nov 2014 it's free. I have a family license (4 copies) and they will upgrade that for 69.00. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    How do the times for full Images compare?
    To be honest I haven't tried that yet, since I was relying on the Incrementals Forever function, which builds its own "full image" equivalent.
    I'll try an ordinary full image later tonight...

Later...
    I would say that the full image created by V6 takes about the same time and produces a similarly-sized file to v5. I don't think much new work has gone into that particular aspect!
    Last edited by BATcher; 2015-03-11 at 15:11.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick-Y - I spent UKP 57.95 on four licences. I'm not sure on the update yet, but these guys have to make their money somehow.

Macrium was a vast improvement on my previous backup program. No name given, but, if you search WSL very carefully, you'll find a reference to what I am referring.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine was $83 for 4 licenses, but my upgrade path dates from 4.2 or so. I believe there was a point fairly recently if you bought v.5 you get a free upgrade to 6.

I have not updated my backups yet (bought updates yesterday when I got the email notice and went to look what was new) so no opinion yet. Some improved and additional scheduling backup automation options (GFS)(about time), GPT support for everyone (including free in a few months), a claim of 90% improvement in speed of backup/restore!!!!, and UEFI support. From what I can gather the 90% speed improvement comes not just from backing up only those files that changed but only backing up clusters that changed. That of course means the initial backup will not be taking advantage of that.

Note there is no Pro version anymore. It is all in the Home version. When you go to Macrium's website it defaults to the Business user...you need to click on the Home tab to get home user pricing (cheaper).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Might be worth a look at 6.1 when "convert image to VM" arrives.

cheers, Paul