New Lounger
    Thanks

Image properties, Details and Tags, where is the list data stored?

As with many of the forum members, I've found that when someone learns you know a bit about computers, you're the fix-it guy for every problem. Lucky for me, most of the friends have fiddly problems, easily solved. Not this time.

It's not so much a problem as it is a nuisance for the friend/owner of the computer. I've discovered that I don't have this "feature" on my machine, but my wife's machine does. I've not been able to condense the description enough to provide a solution via the various search engines, although I was able to locate someone else's post on a different forum with the same question. It was not answered, not even referenced in succeeding posts, so that one was a dead-end.

Windows 7, obviously, any photo folder, any photo tested so far, right-click, properties, details tab. Currently my testing has been limited to the Tags and Author fields. Why expand the misery so soon? As soon as a keystroke is entered into either of these fields, a predictive typing list appears with information unrelated to the field. In one case, it's almost a complete list of email addresses, while in another, there's no "pin-down" of the category of information.

I've searched using a gazillion different terms, clicked on links after links after links pursuing that which appears to head in the right direction, to no avail. One set of links points to Adobe products and references adobe related file structures, meaningless in this case and not installed on either of the "test" machines.

I've searched the registry for terms which appear in these lists and come up empty, although one term pointed me to an entry in the registry named DestinationMRU, which had five of the tags within. Five isn't the entire list that appears, and doesn't cover the more "comprehensive" list in the Authors field.

One of the searches presented a suggestion pointing to a file named fileinfo.xml which appears nowhere on the test computer, so that one is out. I think it might have been one of the Adobe references, but I searched for it anyway.

I'm stumped.

Thanks
    Have you tried just continuing typing? I experimented with the Author tag and typed Fred - which gave me a list (including John Fred and his Playboy band - how 60s ) but I continued typing and it let me do so. This was on an Excel file. On my photos I couldn't even change anything - but then I use Picasa to add tags (I haven't found how to add author tags yet). I use a tool called exiftool to list my tags and have found that between that, Picasa and ViewNX2 (Nikon S/W) tags seem to be a bit random, so I'm still investigating that aspect.
    Here's hoping an expert helps us here!

p.s. exiftool can also write tags but it's not got a gui and is a bit complicated
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-03-12 at 06:03. Reason: More info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the continuing typing aspect does work. I realize now that I neglected to note that the friend desires to purge the list entirely. Just about any other MRU or auto-complete feature in Win7 permits clearing of the list, but simply identifying this list has proved to be challenging.