5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some utilities that are worth paying for

BEST UTILITIES

By Lincoln Spector

Today's connected, cloud-based world offers no end of free stuff software, images, music, digital books, and more. Some of those offerings are even legal! But when it comes to utilities, free isn't always the best choice; you can get something significantly better if you're willing to spend a little cash.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-utilities/some-utilities-that-are-worth-paying-for/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-03-11 at 21:50.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

Revere Jim (2015-03-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Beware the new versions of Malwarebytes. The old standalone version, free and paid, worked well with paid versions of Online Armor and Emisoft Antimalware (ie antivirus). Despite setting exclusions, I had major problems with the new version when it was imposed on us. I had to use System Restore to back out of the forced update of Malwarebytes (forced update in my book classifies it as malware). So I uninstalled.

A few months later, I wanted a second opinion. I tried to use the Free version, but it detected I had a licence, and installed the paid. It installed with difficulty-- details now escape me. The problem was that the old version had not uninstalled properly. Sorted that out. Did a scan, set it to reboot, then, my worst horror: it would not reboot, not even into safemode, so I could not even try system restore.

Fortunately, I had downloaded a Win7 32bit repair disk. This fixed the boot record, then still no boot, I tried System restore, and fortunately that worked (my experience with System Restore is that it does not always work).

At this point I thoroughly uninstalled anything Malwarebytes using ZsoftUninstaller to look for traces. There may be a way to get over the problem, but I am not prepared to do the risky experiments.

In short, beware MalwareBytes. It used to work very well, and may one day work well. It should but does not automatically work in such a way that it excludes conflicts with well known security software. A pity, I liked getting a second opinion, and it used to speedily find some possible problems that were not signalled by my antivirus. Anyone trying it should make sure they have a tried and trusted system backup before they use it, but, who can do that when they have a problem therefore install Malwarebytes in order to get a second opinion?
    ILowe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday (March 11, 2015) I had difficulty in installing the 20+ Windows updates. Help suggested turning off AV programs. At first I tried disabling Norton Security Suite (free Comcast) and that did not work. Next I disabled my paid version of Malwarebytes and was able to install all of the offered updates. I have also had issues with printing at internet banking sites. I suspected Norton as the villain. Next time I have a printing web based problem I am going to try disabling Malwarebytes. I have 5 computers and the only one that had issues with the Windows updates was the one using Norton and Malwarebytes. The remaining 4 have Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes (one paid and 3 free).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Info regarding Paid Version of MalwareBytes

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

BEST UTILITIES

By Lincoln Spector

Today's connected, cloud-based world offers no end of free stuff software, images, music, digital books, and more. Some of those offerings are even legal! But when it comes to utilities, free isn't always the best choice; you can get something significantly better if you're willing to spend a little cash.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-utilities/some-utilities-that-are-worth-paying-for/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    I use the Free version of MalwareBytes and was looking to move to the paid version last year. Was all set to complete my transaction when I noticed that MalwareBytes went to a subscription plan of purchase. Sure I could install the program on up to 3 PC's but I'd also have to remember each year why I have a charge on my Visa card and who it was and from where. NO Thanks, and for obvious reasons being I don't want yet another website having my CC number and expiration date/security code in its possession and then have this info compromised do to this company not having sufficient security measures in place.
    Lincoln, kindly take/make note of what I've just mentioned here and in the future, remember to include it in your articles. Unfortunately, the paid version of FREE software sometimes comes with an unpleasant "catch" that some of us don't appreciate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbomb View Post
    I use the Free version of MalwareBytes and was looking to move to the paid version last year. Was all set to complete my transaction when I noticed that MalwareBytes went to a subscription plan of purchase. Sure I could install the program on up to 3 PC's but I'd also have to remember each year why I have a charge on my Visa card and who it was and from where. NO Thanks, and for obvious reasons being I don't want yet another website having my CC number and expiration date/security code in its possession and then have this info compromised do to this company not having sufficient security measures in place.
    You can pay by check if you prefer: How do I cancel automatic renewal for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium?

Quote Originally Posted by kbomb View Post
    Lincoln, kindly take/make note of what I've just mentioned here and in the future, remember to include it in your articles. Unfortunately, the paid version of FREE software sometimes comes with an unpleasant "catch" that some of us don't appreciate.
    He did say, "$25-per-year".

Thanks
    I have pay-for Avast and Avira AntiVirus, not the internet suites. The pay-fors give more configuration and settings control, the protection is the same as the free versions. So far, I've had no problems with Malwarebytes Premium, I use Emsisoft's real time protections, and have MBAM's protections off. I went from Spybot 1 to Spybot 2 -- almost regret I did; however, I am slowly getting used to Spybot 2, will make the best of it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have issues with allowing any web site to have my credit card information. When I shop online I use "Shopsafe". If you have a FIA Visa credit card you can log on to their web site and select "Use ShopSafe". By clicking on that button, you will open a window that will allow you to generate a temporary credit card number with a expiration date of your choice, the maximum amount, and the 3 digit security code. The number can only be used once unless you designate it as a recurring payment.

Thanks
    A decent imaging application is always worth paying for too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    A decent imaging application is always worth paying for too.
    Clint, you're talking about backup/restore programs such as Macrium, Acronis, and others, correct? If yes, I totally agree!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Torjan in Folder Size Personal

Lincoln Spector suggests Folder Size Free and Folder Size Personal as a way to clean up old files.

After a little while of looking around, I decided to buy Folder Size Personal. As I tried to install it, Comodo (CIS) kill the installation due to detection of the app trying to install. The file was TrojWare.Win32.TrojanDownloader.Small.ET@84493725

Mindgems (sells FSP) assures me that there is no malware, of course. It passes Kaspersky and a few others. Can't find any useful info on-line.

Sent a message to Lincoln via Windows Secrets, yet to hear anything. Extremely disappointing.

By-the-way: Complete scan for virus, malware, etc turn up clean except for "FolderSizePersonal.exe"
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H , Intel i7 4770K @4.7Ghz using 1.3V
    -- G.Skill DDR3 2400 (2*2Gb) 9-11-11-31
    -- Iwaki MD-20RLZT -> EK Sup. Univ. -> Chiller -> Resev
    -- EVGA GTX680,Klipsch Promedia 4.1
    -- Intel 510 120G, Crucial M4 120G, Samsung 840 Pro 500G
    -- Corsair 1050 in Corsair 730T
    -- Win 10 Pro

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could try TreeSize free in the meantime.

cheers, Paul