Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Error Checking and found.00* files.

Running Win 8.1 and using a USB3 Seagate external HD.
    I got a message that an error had been detected on the drive.
    Went to properties/tools/error checking.
    It said that an error was detected, so I ran with fix error.
    I've done this a couple of times in years past (and past versions of Windows), and it produced an error file that I have been able to determine which files (if any) got clobbered.
    This time, I see no file; even with hidden files turned on.
    When I use 'Allway Sync' to create my offsite backup, it says that there are two files 'found.000' and 'found.001' on the external HD.
    Allway Sync won't copy them 'access denied'. I have had that problem a couple of times before when security on a file got messed up (this drive is used on multiple machines).
    I have always been able to 'fix' security and go on my merry way, but since I can't see the 'found' files, I can't change security.
    Since I can't see the files, I can't look at them to see what might have been clobbered. I have at least two files that I have tried to use that were un-usable; which I suspect were hit with whatever the error was.
    I was able to reload from the offsite drive.

So...the question....
    How can I look at the 'found' files? If I can't see them, they aren't much good. I have no idea if they are 1k or 1g files.
    In addition, the 'error check' process didn't give me any clues as to the problem, and the 'error fix' didn't give me any clues as to what was fixed.
    Is there a better way to do this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I look at the 'found' files?
    I use a program named QuickView Plus to look at files that either have no associated program for the extension or that won't open in the program, it's not fool-proof but can be helpful. It's been around quite awhile, I think since Win95 days.
    http://www.avantstar.com/metro/home/...tandardEdition
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-03-11 at 17:16.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Open a Command Prompt.
    Change to the drive and directory where the files live - usually the root of the drive. e.g. E:
    Type the folllowing:
    dir /ah
    dir /as
    This will list any files with Hidden or System attributes.
    Once you know what attributes the files have you can remove them using the "attrib" command.
    You can also list the attributes if you know the file name, e.g. attrib found.000

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Open a Command Prompt.
    Change to the drive and directory where the files live - usually the root of the drive. e.g. E:
    Type the folllowing:
    dir /ah
    dir /as
    This will list any files with Hidden or System attributes.
    Once you know what attributes the files have you can remove them using the "attrib" command.
    You can also list the attributes if you know the file name, e.g. attrib found.000

cheers, Paul
    I found three 'dir' on my J drive. found.000 001 and 002.
    They all 3 has SH for attributes.
    attrib -s J:\found.000 'not resetting hidden file'
    attrib -h J:\found.000 'not resetting system file'
    attrib -s -h J:\found.000 'access denied'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
    I found three 'dir' on my J drive. found.000 001 and 002.
    They all 3 has SH for attributes.
    attrib -s J:\found.000 'not resetting hidden file'
    attrib -h J:\found.000 'not resetting system file'
    Check your C:\ drive ASAP.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Hope you have restorable current backups; time for a low-level cluster/sector check [not format] of the entire drive.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
    Maybe you need to run the Command Prompt as admin. To do this right click on the Windows "Start" icon and select "Command Prompt (Admin)".

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Maybe you need to run the Command Prompt as admin. To do this right click on the Windows "Start" icon and select "Command Prompt (Admin)".

cheers, Paul
    I run Start 8, so the right click didn't work.
    I finally found the 'cmd' link under the Windows/System programs in the start menu and ran as 'admin' (would never have thought of that as I am logged on as admin).
    That did the trick.
    I can now see the files like I always have in the past.

The results were interesting.

found.000 contained 18 files that were deleted from DropBox in May of last year. Evidently copied over when I went from a 1tb to 2tb Seagate Plus drive. They all appear to be valid files with delete in the name.

found.001 contained dir0000.chk and dir0001.chk (6 files and 3 files). These files are jpgs and don't appear to have any problems. Since the source was an Allway Sync backup of another computers D drive, they currently exist in the proper place on my J drive.

found.002 contains a single file00000000.chk. In the dim and distant past, I ran into one like this and was able to browse it and get an idea that files were involved.
    Unfortunately, the method is not longer in my database.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally found the 'cmd' link under the Windows/System programs in the start menu
    and ran as 'admin' (would never have thought of that as I am logged on as admin).
    That did the trick.
    There are times when having administrative rights is not the same as being the actual [hidden] Administrator.