Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Remote Desktop problem: CD not recognized

I use RDP to login to a system in our store. Both systems running Windows 7 Pro. If a music CD is in the CDROM drive on the remote system, I can see it in Windows Explorer and see the .cda files. But if I open Windows Media Player it just says "Unknown CD". It won't show or attempt to play the CD.

I have confirmed that an employee in the store can login to the system and open WMP and the CD is available and playable, so it has something to do with RDP.

I have confirmed that I can login to the system in the store with RDP and play a track that is already in the WMP library and it plays there. (Or here if I chose "Play on this computer" in my RDP options.) So it's not a sound issue. It has something to do with the actual CD.

I have confirmed that this is true with many CDs - everyone we tried, so probably all CDs.

Can anyone tell me what to do so I can play a CD on a remote system while logged in with RDP?

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try the portable version of VLC media player. (I don't know if this will work, but it's a no cost option.)

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Backspacer - I tried this with 2 Windows 7 PC's and it didn't work for me either at first... I could see the CD playing in the remote PC's Media Player but couldn't see a Playback device on the remote PC (even though I could see a Recording device on the remote PC).

I got it to work by:

1) Running MSTSC on the local PC from an account with Administrative privileges.

2) Changing the local MSTSC option for Remote audio playback to Play on remote computer.
    rdp_local_settings.png
    Click to enlarge

3) RDP'ing to the Administrator account on the remote PC (I haven't tried using an account with Administrative privileges or a less privileged account).

I can confirm that - if an audio CD is in the optical drive of the remote PC - it's possible to control it (play, skip track, etc.) via RDP using WMP (and VLC... I checked ).

Hope this helps...

PS - My local Explorer 'view' of the remote PC showed that the remote Explorer recognised the contents of the remote optical drive as an Audio CD. Is this what you see?

rdp_remote_view.png
    Click to enlarge
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-12 at 18:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Backspacer - I tried this with 2 Windows 7 PC's and it didn't work for me either at first... I could see the CD playing in the remote PC's Media Player but couldn't see a Playback device on the remote PC (even though I could see a Recording device on the remote PC).
    That's different from what I see. I login to the remote PC, open WMP and it says "unknown CD" in the D drive and will not even attempt to play it.

If I look at the sound properties I do see a playback device and it is enabled. Additionally, I can play music that already exists on the PC and they hear it on the local speakers. The problem is that I cannot access a CD in the drive, though they can do so locally.

I got it to work by:

1) Running MSTSC on the local PC from an account with Administrative privileges.

2) Changing the local MSTSC option for Remote audio playback to Play on remote computer.
    I always do these two.

3) RDP'ing to the Administrator account on the remote PC (I haven't tried using an account with Administrative privileges or a less privileged account).
    I do not know what the Administrator account password is on the remote system. The remote account I use does have administrator privileges.

I can confirm that - if an audio CD is in the optical drive of the remote PC - it's possible to control it (play, skip track, etc.) via RDP using WMP (and VLC... I checked ).
    It is a feature of Windows that things only work if you do not need them.

PS - My local Explorer 'view' of the remote PC showed that the remote Explorer recognised the contents of the remote optical drive as an Audio CD. Is this what you see?
    I think they removed the CD from the system and now they've gone home. I'll ask them to put it back in tomorrow and will take a look.

Thanks
    Backspacer - Whilst I have been able to get remote audio playback to work within a home, e.g. "Workgroup" environment, I don't at present have any means to test within a work (e.g. "Domain") environment.

Please clarify your present environment (Workgroup? Domain?) and provide an "Explorer view" screenshot of what the RDP remote view looks like from the local PC when an audio CD is inserted and recognised within the remote desktop environment.

If you can only see .cda files in the remote environment (from the local environment) then this suggests that the remote environment may not have its default 'open with' operators set correctly

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-13 at 03:42.

Thanks
    My environment is a workgroup. Physically there are two lans about 1200 miles apart connected by a VPN. I am on one, the store systems are on the other.

I'll see if I can put a photo here showing the RDP session...

Capture.PNG

You will notice that the audio CD is inserted but is not recognized. It just says "Unknown (D)" If I click on it, my click is ignored. If an employee were to login locally they would be able to play the CD. I cannot.
    Ignore the Eva Cassidy information in the image. That just happens to be where the library was pointed when I did the screen grab. It remains in view when I click the D drive rather than recognizing the contents of the D drive correctly. The CD in the D drive is a different one.

Here is the RDP setup on my local system:

Capture1.PNG

Here is the Playback device in the sound properties:

Capture4.PNG

If you can only see .cda files in the remote environment (from the local environment) then this suggests that the remote environment may not have its default 'open with' operators set correctly
    I'm not exactly sure what that means. I can see the .cda files from both systems.

Here is Windows Explorer on the remote system looking at its D drive while I am logged on to it via RDP:

Capture2.PNG

I can also see the .cda tracks from my local computer using Windows Exporer's Network section:

Capture3.PNG

(Look at all those pictures. You have created a monster. I hope they all actually show up in my posting or I'll have to get embarrassed...)

Which "open with" operators are we talking about? That's a new one on me. Maybe that is the problem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Backspacer; 2015-03-13 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    ...Which "open with" operators are we talking about?...
    Rick means "file associations" - which program is set to open a particular file-type.

Look at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs and/or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations.

But looking at your fourth-from-top screenshot it seems .cda is associated with Windows Media Player, so that doesn't explain why WMP shows "Unknown D" in your first screenshot.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Plus when an employee puts the CD in the drive and looks at it locally, the CD is there and playable. And even if .cda were associated with some other music player, WMP should still recognize and open a CD if asked to do so. And just to be sure I did go check and .cda is correctly associated with WMP.

Thanks
    Backspacer - I can't see any difference in your OS setup compared with mine... so that makes me think the problem may possibly be due to a restriction within a desktop security program. (I saw a Symantec folder in one of your screenshots.)

Are you able to temporarily disable any AV on the remote PC to see whether you can 'Play' from your local RDP session and get it to work on the remote PC?

Thanks
    Thanks, Rick. I just went and checked, turned off both the firewall and antivirus and the CD is still not playable. So that isn't it, though it's another possibility knocked out. I should also mention that we used MSE and the native firewall for a few years before switching to Norton and we have had this same problem all along.

Could there be some weird digital rights management issue when trying to play a CD while logged in via RDP? It makes no sense, since I think the whole idea with the newer versions of Windows was to appeal to rich homeowners with extensive sound systems and such. You'd think other people would be logging into a PC remotely to start up music and setup playlists and the like.

Thanks
    If AV isn't the issue then does the remote Event Viewer show any issue(s) - either 'Application' or 'System' logs - when, from your local PC, you right-click on the remote audio CD showing on the remote system and choose 'Play'?

Also, what version of mstsc.exe are you running at your (local) end? I'm using v6.2.9200.17053.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-14 at 15:49.

Thanks
    I did as you ask. Play is grayed out because WMP does not recognize that there is a CD in the drive. If I hit the GUI's Play button it assumes that I am not really talking about the CD and so it goes off to play some other music.

I looked at the even viewer after doing this. I found a system event saying:

"The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the running state."

No application event was created.

Thanks
    What version of mstsc.exe are you running at your (local) end?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    What version of mstsc.exe are you running at your (local) end?

Thanks
    Backspacer - I'm fairly sure it's not a DRM issue (although this blog suggests it could be if you were trying to redirect the remote audio back to the client).

I've been able to play the remote audio CD from 3 different local PCs running different versions of mstsc so I guess that rules out it being an RDP client issue. I've also been able to remote into another PC (running Windows XP) and play the same audio CD.

Note that I have been using Administrator accounts on both local and remote PC's. The moment I try to use a Standard user account on the remote PC then I am not able to use the remote PC's Media Player controls for the CD drive (but can still play music stored in the library). This is what I think your problem is.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-03-15 at 07:17.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast