New Lounger
    Portland, OR

Outlook Express Won't Download Mail

My mom's WinXP clunker stopped downloading mail in Outlook Express. The dsl router lights flash indicating that it's downloading something but then it times out after 45 seconds or so and gives this error message:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '', Server: '', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

It will send mail, but not download it. I went to Frontier's support page and verified that the OE account is correctly set up according to their specs. Then I tried temporarily disabling Avast free edition antivirus but it still won't work.

She can still access her mail at Frontier's website (their webmail is actually through Yahoo mail) but she prefers OE...

I'm not sure what to try next.

Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyby View Post
    ...I'm not sure what to try next.
    Have a look through this M$ support article: Error occurs when you send or receive an email message in Outlook or Outlook Express
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Have you checked your ISP's service announcements for problems with the servers?