Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Win 7 Pro Dell Laptop Will Not Stay Shut down

More often than not the laptop will simply reboot after a shutdown action. I don't know if its Windows or a Dell problem. The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400 Core2 Duo 2.4GB cpu with 4GB RAM. Its running a freshly restored Windows 7 Pro x64. I've checked the Bios Power section for wake ups and Windows advanced power policies but found no smoking gun. It is running the latest Bios and chipset drivers The only way to keep it down is to hold down the power button for a minute or so after it powers off. Any suggestions???

It also lost the password for the only user account. It was really lost too. I had it written down. It worked a few times well then became erratic and finally would only give a login password error. I used an EBCD disc to reset it. No problems there yet.
    Delta-V

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you running the laptop wired or wireless ?

For wireless, go to Device Manager/Network adapters - right click on the wireless adapter - Properties and under the Power Management tab ensure both boxes are unchecked.

If wired do the same for the Ethernet adapter where there may be three boxes to leave unchecked - then under the Advanced tab scroll down to Wake on pattern match and set that to Disabled and see if these steps resolve the auto reboot.

As this can also be caused by an infection, it would be prudent to run a robust anti malware scan.

My choice for this is ESET Free Online Scanner. http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Util...Online-Scanner

Click on Advanced and check all of the boxes with the one for Archive being optional then disable your AV program immediately before clicking the Scan button

When completed check the auto uninstall box.

Should the auto restart be the computer telling you there is something wrong, go Start - type system - click on System - Advanced system settings - Advanced tab - Startup and Recovery/Settings and uncheck the box for Automatically restart.

This could result in a BSOD but you should be able to boot up into Safe Mode to recheck that option, but make a note of the Stop codes first.

BlueScreenView will read the Memory Dump File but if you do get a BSOD then open a new thread where the BSOD guys will pick up your thread for expert assistance.

Thanks
    Sudo15

I followed your instructions and ran the Eset scanner but it found no problems. I unchecked the restart option in Start Up and Recovery Options and checked with Blue Screen View since it was already installed. It reported no errors. The change in Start UP and Recovery options seems to have stopped the automatic reboot but now when I shut it down it doesn't re-start but the Power button and the Num Lock Button remain lit. Pressing the power button causes both to go off so it wasn't in sleep or hibernate mode. Still that is an improvement over the perpetual reboot! At some point I may try a repair or re-install but the computer was for a business associate and was otherwise ready to go with all other programs installed.
    Thanks for your reply & help!
    Delta-V

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this on battery or AC ?

Not sure if this energy report will tell you anything but run a command prompt as an administrator and enter this command -

powercfg -energy

There's a space before the dash and it gives you the path where you can find the report, but for some reason I'm getting an error when I try to view the file on mine - you may have better luck while I try to trouble shoot this.

Thanks
    Success, I ran Powercfg and it worked, no errors. After viewing the report I changed some of the plugged in settings and all seems to work fine and no more power light after shutdown from AC or battery. The fellow the laptop is for will be using it for Rhinoceros a 3D CAD program so I had it using more power for the system and CPU in battery and AC.
    I didn't know there was a Powercfg. Thanks much for the help! Now I get to set up another one for his grand kids.............
    Delta-V

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
    Success, I ran Powercfg and it worked, no errors. After viewing the report I changed some of the plugged in settings and all seems to work fine and no more power light after shutdown from AC or battery. The fellow the laptop is for will be using it for Rhinoceros a 3D CAD program so I had it using more power for the system and CPU in battery and AC.
    I didn't know there was a Powercfg. Thanks much for the help! Now I get to set up another one for his grand kids.............
    Glad that worked out for you.

I've tried all sorts and still cannot get to view the energy report on mine - I'm sure I've run that before on this laptop and didn't have any problems ??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Delta-V (2015-03-13)

Thanks
    To view the energy report, you have to move the file from the System32 folder to another location like the desktop.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    To view the energy report, you have to move the file from the System32 folder to another location like the desktop.

Jerry
    Already tried that Jerry and got the same error as when trying to open it in System32 - although using IE 10, Firefox couldn't even find the file.

Thanks
    Did you try a File open in Firefox and browse to where you moved the file? I assume you didn't change the file extension and that the file contents are non zero when yo lokk at it in windows Explorer.

Jerry

Thanks
    I ran it in system 32. No Problems. Microsoft is just arbitrary sometimes
    Delta-V

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Did you try a File open in Firefox and browse to where you moved the file? I assume you didn't change the file extension and that the file contents are non zero when yo lokk at it in windows Explorer.

Jerry
    I'm not really into FF and just use it as a spare browser so I'm not sure what you mean by "File open in FF".

I deleted the desktop file icon and it remains in System32.

FF can't find it and IE says it can't display the web page - I even added SSL 3.0 to the TLSs but that was a no go either.

I was wondering if I could change .html to something else but as it needs to go to a website to view it, the 29KB it is probably doesn't contain all of the text.

Edit - Got it - sent it to Documents
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-13 at 05:47.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you were able to read the file. As you found, you don't need to go to a web site to read it, the file is just formatted in html so you need a browser to read it.
    It's a moot point now but if you enable the menu bar in Firefox, you will get a File>Open option just like IE.

Jerry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-03-13)

Thanks
    You can also open the file in Microsoft Word.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I only have MS Works on here but see ALT opens the menu bar in FF as well - at least I've learned something else

Thanks
    Don't know if Works reads HTML but any word processor that does will work. I'm pretty sure that Open Office and Libre Office will work as well.

I'm always learning as well. (Helps keep me from getting senile). None of us on the Lounge have all the answers....

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast