New Lounger
    Thanks

opening a new excel spreadsheet

Every time I open a new excel spreadsheet, it doesn't open a clean copy, instead it opens 2 files--one is PERSONAL (Autosaved). xlsb and the other is just a normal excel file that I created back in June of 2014. This has only been happening for the last month or so. Not the world's worst problem, but it is annoying, and I can't really figure out where to look for a solution.

Thanks for any help.

Nanci

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Nanci,

The xlsb file is your personal macro file and should be located at:
    C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

The other file is most probably named Book1 (e.g. you accidentally saved it as that). You can do a saveAs to give it a new name then search for Book1.xls* and delete it. Or it may be located in the XLSTART folder as indicated above.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but the other file isn't named Book1, it is Other Matters.xls, but now that I am looking, it is located in the XLSTART folder. I guess I can just move Other Matters.xls to another folder, so hopefully that will stop it from opening. But why does my personal macro file feel like it has to open up when I press new, and how can I stop this?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, so now that I knew where to look, I saw that my macro file was in the XLSTART folder as both an autosaved version and the regular file, so I moved the autosaved version and the Other Matters file and my problems were solved.

Thank you retiredgeek for pointing me in the right direction! It was simple once I knew where to head.

Nanci

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Nanci,

You're personal macro folder should always open when you start Excel. That's why it is there. However, it should open Hidden, e.g. you shouldn't see that it is there unless you open the Visual Basic Editor (VBE). If it is showing in the normal Excel window see this article. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs