New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9, 10, 11 Stopped Working

Three weeks ago, IE10 running on a Windows 7 computer started refusing to run, stating there was an error and the program had to stop. Windows was up to date. I searched for answers online and updated to IE11, same problem. I uninstalled IE10, IE11, and reverted back to IE9. Same problem. I turned UAC off and the problem went away. I reinstalled IE11 and the computer was fine.

Two days ago, the same problem returned, UAC is still off. I have no add-ons, running, running IE11 as administrator yields same results. I have installed Chrome so that the user can do what they must do.

Running the computer in safe mode, IE11 runs fine. The computer has been scanned for malware and none found.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dannylusk; 2015-03-12 at 11:29.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Resetting IE to defaults is usually a first step as down/upgrading tends to keep the same settings.

If Chrome works and IE not, but works in Safe Mode with Networking then it won't be the AV blocking but possibly a 3rd party program and running a clean boot could ID that. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Had the user downloaded anything around the time the problem started - three weeks may be a bit too long ago to try the restore points, but using the restore points back to when the reinstall of IE 11 did work could resolve.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, that didn't help. I will just reimage the machine. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Oh well....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having the exact same problem with a Windows 7 workstation that I can't reimage. Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye53 View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem with a Windows 7 workstation that I can't reimage. Any other helpful advice would be appreciated.
    This machine needs Java, so I started looking at the installed programs and found two versions installed, both older than the current installing version. I removed both of these versions and installed the current version. I then uninstalled all IE updated versions, which left me with IE8, and it ran fine with no problems. I then installed IE11 and the problem was gone. I don't know why, but am just thankful.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem.. an update seems to have caused it

Quote Originally Posted by dannylusk View Post
    This machine needs Java, so I started looking at the installed programs and found two versions installed, both older than the current installing version. I removed both of these versions and installed the current version. I then uninstalled all IE updated versions, which left me with IE8, and it ran fine with no problems. I then installed IE11 and the problem was gone. I don't know why, but am just thankful.
    Restored to before the last IE update and problem gone.
    The IE update to version 11.0.9600.17689 on 10/03/2015 seems to possibly have done it. No update no problem. updated problem back.
    This has also seemed to cause more "Outlook 2013 Has stopped working" Outlook will restart.
    That's all fine but dammit I have just lost a long Email I was typing.
    I am also dumping my office 2013 on home and 3 work PC's and reinstalling Office 2010, anyone want 4 X Office 2013 going cheap. Has come up with a restarting problem after a "xxx has stopped working" message on all four machines we run it on since the day it was installed.
    I recently spoke to someone who has gone back to Office 2007 as cant get 2010 anymore and wont use 2013, his office has over 30 systems running Office 2007 and 2010. another large user has moved all new machines to some version of Open Office.

Hope the update info will help solving your problem as this did cause this problem on almost all our machines since the last IE update and on every machine running Office 2013. no problems occurred on system with auto updates switched disabled.
    Last edited by LexLen; 2015-03-19 at 14:36. Reason: spelling