Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Live Movie Maker crashes

Today, WLMM keeps crashing with error message "WLMM has stopped working...". I tried restarting the Windows 7.1 computer with the same result.

Have searched on-line and can't find a solution. One suggestion was to "repair Windows Live Essentials Programs" via Control Panel/Uninstall Programs. That didn't work for me.

Another was to run in compatibility mode, selecting a Windows version one earlier than current (that would be Vista for me). No success.

I've been working with the program all week with no problems. Haven't added any new software or programs so can't figure out why it won't work today. I'm in the midst of trying to do some video editing (also with Lounge help!) so am doubly frustrated at not being able to work through those suggestions. Videos being uploaded into WLMM are in mov format, one that's workable for the program. They are also very short, around 1 minute or less.

If a Lounger has a suggestion, that would be great. If I need to provide more info, just let me know.

Hopefully,

Linda

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools then open "Event Viewer" then look in the "Windows Logs\Application" log for errors from WLMM.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Coochin,

I found the log and here's what was there re. WLMM (there were 12 WLMM app errors yesterday which I guess correspond to number of times I tried?):

Faulting application name: MovieMaker.exe, version: 16.4.3528.331, time stamp: 0x533a401b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce753
    Faulting process id: 0xf94
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d05d8a9e32eac1
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: e9dfdcd6-c97d-11e4-a290-d48564b66d78

Hope this is the info you require. There was much there beyond my understanding!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2015-03-13 at 09:53.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000374...
    This kind of vague error involving "ntdll.dll" is often caused by memory errors.

I advise run a RAM test with MemTest86 (free version is fine for your needs).

Once you have verified there are no RAM errors you could run Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All In One) to fix common Windows problems.

The first stage in WR is to run a Malwarebytes Anti-malware scan; if you are confident your system has no malware present you could skip that step, but don't skip any further steps, and be sure to run the final "Repairs" step with the default settings in Safe Mode with Networking.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions, coochin. I'll work through them all and post back.

Linda

BTW just noticed your comment re. most common error at end of signature - love it!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, phooey! It took a while but finally got all steps completed, checked WLMM - and the blasted thing still shuts down, same as before.

Any further thoughts?

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    More news - all good this time...

Well, I decided to try System Restore. Took PC back to March 9, before 3 Microsoft patch cycles and 3 ActiveX installs (don't know what they are or how they got installed but noticed them when I was choosing restore point).

When I opened WLMM and tried to save movie, it WORKED!

So, coochin, you were right. Something that got installed between March 9 and earlier this week when the trouble started messed up WLMM. I had only thought "new software" and not patches or other updates.

Now I need to know what patching I can safely do. It makes me nervous to be behind in Microsoft's patching.

Regardless of all the frustration, at least I know my system is in good shape thanks to the steps followed from your post ... and I had a much needed refresher on starting in Safe Mode and msconfig!

Maybe I'd better do my video editing before worrying about re-installing any patches! Agree?

Thanks for your help,

Linda

Thanks
    ...Maybe I'd better do my video editing before worrying about re-installing any patches! Agree?...
    Yes, agree.

Also, you might want to change Windows Update setting from "Install updates automatically..." to "Check for updates but let me choose..." until you identify which patch causes the problem (or simply wait a couple of weeks to allow time for M$ to sort them out).

Thanks
    ...BTW just noticed your comment re. most common error at end of signature - love it!
    At times I have been criticised for that, but say "not guilty, your honour".

Critics have insisted that instead of "EBKACB" it should be "PEBKAC" (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), but they are demonstrably wrong if only on account of the various expressions of the same idea (see User error).

Actually, I added "EBKACB" to my signature out of respect for Bill, a neighbour (since deceased from bowel cancer) who helped me come to terms with Win3.1 and Win95 back in the 1990s. Bill repeatedly corrected me when I made silly mistakes by saying, and explaining, "EBKACB".

One of my favourite Randy Glasbergen cartoons is "Can't you do anything right":
    CantDoRight.gif

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great read, coochin! Looked up human error link and agree with you on EBK... instead of PEBK... It's certainly kinder than "ID-10T error" (although that made me smile)! Cartoon is perfect.

Also touched that you added it to honour the memory of your neighbour and friend - and very sorry to hear of his passing.

As for my update practices, I do have your "Check for updates but let me choose..." set and usually leave the patching until I've read Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column in Windows Secrets newsletter. Unfortunately, installed them all (except NET ones) the last 3 cycles, being stretched for time. Guess that has certainly taught me a lesson! I'll read Susan and go slowly when I re-patch. Something sure messed up MovieMaker.

Again many thanks for your time, patience and support working me through this.

Linda