Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, Jerry. I guess that the same takes place in a USB SDHC ???

Best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    I would assume so Jean,\.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Thanks
    I think the point of the article linked in Jerry's #1 post is clear.

For most PC users the speed advantage w/ SSD far outweighs any concern re longevity, provided user is backing up their system on a regular basis.

Nevertheless I moved my pagefile to my secondary (spinning) HDD after reading the article in Jerry's #1 post, since it is certain that most read/writes are to the pagefile. Note that I have some programming experience so understand what the pagefile is and how programs use it.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How is having the page file on a slower disk better?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    cheers, Paul
    My guess is that he decided the platter-clatter HD will last longer than the SSD.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

cheers, Paul
    I assume Coochin is just trying to extend the life of the SSD by eliminating page file writes. However, I think the whole idea of an SSD is to increase performance and that includes paging operations in my mind. The SSD will outlast the useful life of a PC for most users including page file writes. You could make an SSD last forever if you never write to it, but then why have one?

Jerry

Thanks
    With 8GB of RAM I would hazard a guess that the paging file could be totally removed.

Thanks
    Since I moved the pagefile to the "D:\DATA" partition on the 2TB Seagate HDD I haven't noticed any performance issues; if anything there is a slight improvement in performance.

The "D:\DATA" partition is 937GB, w/ about 70% freespace. The data on it is mostly just stored, i.e.: the changes are almost entirely when I download updated program installation files or edits/additions to my "HowTo" library.

Before placing the pagefile on the D:\ partition if I did access the partition, when it had not been accessed during the previous hour-or-so, there would be a delay of about two seconds while the HDD "spun-up". That delay is now gone.

Because the sectors containing the pagefile on D:\ are being accessed frequently, and other sectors on the HDD are accessed infrequently, the HDD's read/write heads are not having to move much. This could explain the slight performance improvement.

Since moving the pagefile I have kept an eye on Task Manager's Performance tab, which usually shows "Paged" memory as about 250MB, but if I have a lot of programs running it might increase but I haven't seen it go higher than about 750MB. Obviously the pagefile is being used, so I am not inclined to do away with the pagefile even though I have plenty of RAM (2x4GB=8GB).

Perf.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

dg1261 (2015-03-16)

Thanks
    Moving the PF to a slower disk with the idea of preserving the SSD is pointless, (relative to the above article).
    You're not going to make a big difference in the SSD's longevity, that's even if you are actually using the PF in any meaningful way.

1. Keep the OS and all it's files on the SSD. (fastest drive)
    2. Keep the SSD as Lean as you can as far as extra OS and programmatic data is concerned.
    3. Limit PF usage and rely on actual memory instead. Weaker systems that are reliant on PF will
    benefit from a PF located on a faster SSD rather than a mech. drive.

Lastly, put more of your energies into a dedicated backup regimen, which is something
    that most people don't do, and that one should be concentrating their efforts on in the first place.

Unless you're stuck with a rally weak system a PF just isn't that important.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Coochin, your PF usage in that screenshot is in excess of 1GB of ~20GB Virtual Memory (Commit(GB) 2/19, it always rounds up to the higher #GB). Check it by using the output files here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...ows-vista.html

(I'm currently getting an erroneous login prompt but I've contacted them and it's likely to be fixed, if it's not just me, very soon.)

Thanks
    I have a weak machine (thanks CLiNT!) but am only using 297MB in the paging file according to satrow's link (working fine here)

2 GB Ram on an Asrock M/B.

Thanks
    (The links were fixed within 16 minutes of me reporting them .)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    (The links were fixed within 16 minutes of me reporting them .)
    Now that's what you call service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast