Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Burning an ISO file in Windows 8.1

Apropos Fred Langa's item in the current Newsletter about creating a bootable setup d.v.d.

The downloaded creation tool is an exe file. How do I burn an ISO file with it?
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Run that file and it will do it for you (as long as you have the DVD burner hardware).

Fred said, "When the download completes, the Media Creation Tool then burns the ISO to a blank DVD disc ... No other tools are needed; the Media Creation Tool handles it all!"
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-03-13 at 20:02.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd add my experience of installing the free CDBurnerXP program to my Windows computers from WinXP up to and including Win10 Pro TP Build 9926 to handle creating discs from a downloaded .iso file, works very good.
    https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for CDBurnerXP.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Run that file and it will do it for you (as long as you have the DVD burner hardware).

Fred said, "When the download completes, the Media Creation Tool then burns the ISO to a blank DVD disc ... No other tools are needed; the Media Creation Tool handles it all!"
    Thank you Bruce. I think I misread the article, so I started again.

11 files appear on the disc, as shown on the screenshot. The last 2 are apparently waiting to be written to it - whatever that means. Surely they are on the disc or not? I'm confused.

I have burnt 2 discs and get the same results.

I wonder if this is what Fred referred to when he said "When you're done, you'll have a bootable installation DVD or flash drive. You'll also have a copy of the ISO or flash-drive setup files on your hard drive usually in the C:\Users\{username}\Downloads folder." ?

dvd files.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Those are temporary files in C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Tempora ry Burn Folder.

You can remove them, after right-clicking the DVD drive, with Delete temporary files.

The original ISO file wil still be in your downloads folder.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Normally when an ISO burn is complete it would pop open the disk drawer after reaching 100%, although I don't know about Win 8.1's built in burner.

Two other programs you could try are ImgBurn which just does disks and Windows USB/DVD burner.

ImgBurn is listed as up to Win 8 but not sure if that includes Win 8.1.

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Those are temporary files in C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Tempora ry Burn Folder.
    So the 9 files already on the disc are the contents of the ISO "file".

The original ISO file wil still be in your downloads folder.
    It was not in my Downloads folder, or anywhere else as far as I could see, so I rescued it from the Temporary Burn Folder in case I need it again.

By the way, which function key would I have to press during boot up so that I can get to the boot order section of the BIOS? In case it's relevant, the PC is an HP 110-412na desktop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post
    ...which function key would I have to press during boot up so that I can get to the boot order section of the BIOS?...
    Your computer has a UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface), not a BIOS (Basic Input/Output System).

Try tapping the Esc key four or five times immediately after power-on. You should see an options dialog. From memory the F9 key should get you into the UEFI settings dialog.

If you just want to boot from CD/DVD occasionally then you could try pressing the Shift key then click "Restart" in the Win8.1 shutdown dialog. One of the options should be to boot from CD/DVD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thank you Coochin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Try tapping the Esc key four or five times immediately after power-on. You should see an options dialog. From memory the F9 key should get you into the UEFI settings dialog.
    The Escape key doesn't seem to do anything. F9 produces the screen I was looking for, but it asks for the Enter key to enter what I select with the + or - keys.

But those keys don't respond. It's as if the USB ports aren't active yet - but if that is so how did I get a response from F9?

If you just want to boot from CD/DVD occasionally then you could try pressing the Shift key then click "Restart" in the Win8.1 shutdown dialog. One of the options should be to boot from CD/DVD.
    That doesn't work. It seems to ignore the selected option of booting from a disc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found out that some newer computers with USB 3.0 ports [blue] won't see the keyboard if plugged into one of them. The issue is that the drivers for USB 3.0 don't load until the OS loads. Putting the keyboard in a USB 2.0 port [black] has always worked for me as long as the BIOS has USB set for Legacy support. A newer BIOS may not have/need that setting, especially if there are no PS/2 ports.

I did experience an issue with a new computer with an older printer when using the USB 3.0 ports where the print would quit after a couple of inches and pop up a loss of communication with the printer, using a USB 2.0 port is fine.

Thanks
    One wonders how Microsoft can provide an installation file (the ISO) which can't be loaded into the target machine

Why does the machine detect the function key but not the other keys?

Is there a way to actually run this ISO file?

This machine has USB3. The two ports at the rear and the two on the front are all black. And I have now tried plugging the keyboard into on of the front ones instead of the rear.
    Last edited by Syncopator; 2015-03-17 at 20:09.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to actually run this ISO file?
    I just use my CD/DVD burning program to burn an exact copy of the original CD or DVD from that .iso file then boot to it. If the downloaded file extension is .exe it can be double-clicked in File Explorer to run it. If the file extension is .zip it can be extracted and the resulting files can be used according to their extension.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post
    ...Why does the machine detect the function key but not the other keys?...
    From memory (it's a couple of weeks now since I worked on an HP Win8.1 PC) after pressing F9 to get that menu the wording in the menu is ambiguous. The up/down arrow keys don't work, nor do the +/- keys. After several attempts I realised that the various choices could be accessed via function keys (I think F10 got me to the UEFI settings menu).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast