Thanks

Scanning in Windows 10.

Thought others may find this hidden facility helpful too.

I have two Epson All-in-One (AiO) printers and have not been able to use them for scanning in Windows 10, reverting to 8.1 on the few occasions when I need the facility. Epson Scan software does not find the scanners in 10. However, while investigating the problem covered in the thread "Printer Driver Problem", I accidentally noticed that when I select one or other of my multi-function printers in 'Devices and Printers' a 'Start scan' option is added below the menu bar. This gives me what I need.

Note: In Windows 8 the AiO printers appear both as printers and scanners, in 10 they are shown only as printers.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Is your Win10 a VM or a physical machine, even, VHD or Dual-boot?

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42161

Thanks
    I am dual-booting 10 and 8.1 Pro with each OS on its own disc drive.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    And w/ that configuration behavior should be the same whether 8.1 or 10. It is a wee bit early but, did you check Epson's site to check out the model's compatibility w/ Win10, that it supports 10.... might not talk about 10, yet. Vendors don't have to support betas or even refer to a, still, beta OS, really.

Ok, so, AC, I gther Win10 does see the Epsons and will print to them. Aside from any driver issues that may be solved from Epson's website... I am curious to know what behavior you have if you try to scan but, not by using the Epson software route. In your Win10 ( same in 8.1) there is a Universal Scan APP. Have you tried to scan using it? Give it a go & see what you get. I have a Canon printer/scanner... w/ 8.1 & 10 I don't bother w/ its software install, @ all... just let the OS handle it. 7 had to run its disc but, not 8 or 10.

That's a really nice spot where you live in Scotland. I looked on a map. Closest I have been to it is Edinburgh.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42165
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-03-17 at 05:03.

Thanks
    Thanks, Drew and I have been to wonderful Calgary - and the Rockies.

Epson were not very clever when Windows 8 was launched and I don't rate their technical support in the UK. It took me a long time to get a working Win 8 printer driver, never mind anything else. Looking for Win 10 drivers at this stage is a waste of time. As far as I am concerned my immediate problem is solved and I will wait to see what Epson produce in the fullness of time. What did interest me, however, was how I stumbled upon this solution by accident and is there some source of information I overlooked that would have told me about the new scan facility?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, that I do not know @ this time. I will say, in general, one can often discover a lot via Rt Clk. HP is, also, bbad for drivers & lagging when (new) Operating Systems come along. Glad you have it sorted for the moment.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42167