Thread: network newbie

Thanks

network newbie

I'm running three computers in a home office setting and want to network the three with the possibility of adding a fourth computer within a year's time and stand in need of the wisdom/experience of the Lounge. A dear seminary professor once said, "Ain't none of us as smart as all of us." So here goes...

Two desktop systems run Win98se and WinMe while the laptop runs Win2k. I have a hub, RJ45 cables/clips, and network cards for each system.

I have been advised to go Control Panel | Network | Identification and make sure each computer has a different name *but* the same workgroup name... under Configuration, I'm told, I should be set to 'Windows logon' and under 'File/Printer Sharing' I should have yes checked/ticked... Services and Protocols should include MS NETBEUI along with Client for MS Networks.

First, is there something I've overlooked?

Second, will the laptop be able to access the CDRW that is installed in one of the desktops? I presume there's a way to 'share' that, too?

Third, any additional advice/suggestions/ warnings will be greatly appreciated!

maxg

Re: network newbie

About sharing the CDRW: Yes you can share it, but only as a regular CDROM. If there is a DirectCD formatted disc in it, you'll be able to copy to/from it with other computers, because the host is treating it as Read/Write device.

But, if you're thinking of burning CDs to it from other computers, that is extremely unlikely.

If someone knows of a way to do that, I'd be interested too!

Thanks

Glad to hear I can share the CDRW; however, I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say it can only be shared as a regular CD-ROM yet I'll be able to copy to/from the DirectCD formatted disc that will be in it but I will not be able to burn a CD to it form other computers.

Here's what I want to do, so let me know if it can be done... the laptop has files that I want to move to either a CDR or a CDRW; in essence, am I not burning a CD with data from the laptop?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

I believe the subject title is most appropriate [img]/w3timages/icons/baby.gif[/img], and I'm ever so grateful for folks like you who are willing to help me get off the ground!

maxg

If you share the drive, you should be able to read files from it. You won't be able to Write to it, except: If you have a CDRW that is Formatted by Adaptec DirectCD; which in essence mounts it as a virtual hard drive. While a DirectCD is mounted it should act as a read/write hard drive.

So, Yes you should be able to do it. In essence, you are 'burning', but as far as the laptop is concerned you are just copying files to a network drive. That's what I meant by not actually being able to burn a CD remotely.

By the Way: When you format a CDRW with DirectCD, you lose about 100Meg for the file system overhead, so the drive shows only about 533Meg.

I believe you can format a CDR with DirectCD, but haven't tried it.

Sorry about the confusion.

PS: If you have a great deal of files to transfer, it might be better to do them a few at a time. I don't know if it's Windows or CD software related (or could be just my machine [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]), but on occaision, if trying to copy too much at once I've had some files corrupted or missing!

Thanks

Great! That clears that part up!

Thanks a bunch! [img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img]

Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img] Back to my original challenge... I've been at this for about a week now and have followed some real good teaching from the Lounge but still cannot get the machines to recognize one another (or each other, for that matter

If anybody can give a quick rundown of "Networking for Dummies 1-2-3" I would be beyond grateful!

Thanks

There are few guidelines here which might be of help on the netgear site.

Thanks

Hey, that site is a winner! I know where I'll be for soem time!

Thanks, Leif!