Thanks

Windows Update can't search for updates!

Hi, it is not really my problem but hubby's. He is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. He is unable to get any updates any more. He has tried System Recovery and that didn't work. He looked at the Microsoft website with the error code (80245001) and Windows gave him a list of a dozen different solutions that were related to that number but really had nothing to do with that specific error code. I suggested he has a virus and he ran MSE with no results. He is currently downloading and installing another anti-virus program to see that program will catch a problem. He has run various anti-malware programs as well - no luck there. The last update file he has are the ones issued in December 2014. Can anyone help us? Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Among other suggestions, try running the anti-malware programs in Safe Mode.

Zig

jwoods
    I would recommend visiting the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center...

http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

In Step 1, select "Top Solutions".

In Step 2, select "Fix performance, errors or crashes".

In Step 3, select "Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobspunkin View Post
    ...He is unable to get any updates any more...
    You might also want to look at jwoods' #10 post in this thread: KB3021952 & KB3032359 Repetitive 'Successful' Updates
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That error code relates to problems extracting the XML file from the wuredir.cab file and failing to load into the DOM which produces that parsing error.

Found this download which I think could help, but I'd value the opinion of more knowledgeable members on this.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=15697

You could however create a restore point and try the download to see if it has any effect.

You could also try the new AiO WR but in addition to performing the pre-scan procedures, create an external system image first.

http://www.tweaking.com/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-15 at 06:38.

Thanks
    Has he run sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thank you, all, for your replies. I have passed on the info and he is working on it right now.