Lounger
    Thanks

Why dramatic Internet speed difference between two wired PCs?

My ISP service provides download speeds up to 45mbps. I have a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and a generic Windows PC. When connected via ethernet, the laptop shows speeds of 45 to 50mbps via various broadband speed testing sites. The PC can show speeds of 8 to 24mbps. I've tested them both with the same Ethernet cable and the same port on a Netgear ProSafe 8 port Gigabit switch (#GS108). Both machines are running Windows 7 Home Premium. The PC has a Asus P5N-D 1 motherboard with a 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad processor and 8gb of RAM, the laptop has a Core Duo P8700 processor at 2.54 GHZ, it has 6gb of RAM. The Win 7 install is 5 years old; the install on the laptop is 6 months old. Maybe something I've installed over the years on the PC is the source of the bottleneck?

I'd like to get the PCs speed close to or equal to the laptop. Is the only way to do a reinstall of Win 7? Or are there other things to try first?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you go into Device Manager/Network adapters - right click on the Ethernet and select Properties.

Under the Advanced tab scroll down to Speed & Duplex and compare the settings between the pc and laptop.

Sometimes changing this from Auto Negotiation to 100Mbps Full Duplex can resolve.

For it to effect, you may have to disable the Ethernet adapter and then re-enable it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested and checked the properties - and while I was doing that I had one of those slap-to-the-head revelations that I had a VPN connection running on the PC. When I quit the VPN connection, the PC was able to attain the same download speeds as the laptop. At least it was just user error and easily fixed.

Thanks again for the help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, VPNs can slow things but glad you found the cause.

The Speed & Duplex is something to keep in mind should you have similar Ethernet speed problems and it isn't down to a VPN.