Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

System Information

I needed to email my System Information details, so I ran the System Information tool and then saved the .nfo file to my desktop. However, when I tried to open the file I received this message-"System Information is unable to open this .nfo file. The file might be corrupt or incompatible with this version of System Information". I have not seen this message before. Any ideas as to how I can resolve this problem?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    The .nfo file is opened using System Information > File > Open

If you are already doing that, right click on the .nfo file, select Open With, and make sure the file association is set to System Information.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-15 at 18:19.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, thanks, I already did that and the file association is set to System Information. When I open the file with System Information I get the message I referred to, and then the System Information Window opens automatically. Any other ideas?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, run MSInfo32 again but don't rush to save - it can take a long time to populate - click down through each '+' and wait for a few seconds before moving on to the next '+' down, a few categories won't populate anyway.

Alternatively, wait ~15 minutes after starting it before trying to make a save.

Thanks
    Interesting @satrow!

I have never noticed this before!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Alternatively you could use the free version of Speccy although it includes all of the Hotfixes as well, but you can save it in the form of an URL by using File/Save then Publish.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, thanks, I did that.

satrow, that's exactly what I did. I did the same thing again, and still get the message I mentioned previously.

For what it's worth I ran sfc /scannow, and no integrity violations were found.

Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    The "System Info" file association actually means "open the .nfo file with MSINFO32.EXE located in C:\Windows\System32"

I will assume you are doing a "Save" in System Information to create the .nfo file. The reason I ask is I created a empty (no data) text file and renamed the extension from .txt to .nfo, tried to open it with System Information, and got the same error you did.

When I created the .nfo file directly using "Save", I did not.

If you are so inclined, you could change the file association to open it with Notepad, which should show as XML with a bunch of CDATA prefixes, just to see if you can open the file at all.

It should have this at the top...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <MsInfo>

a bunch of data with open and close XML tags
    and this at the end...

</MsInfo>

Thanks
    Do a Save as and choose the default .nfo filetype.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried creating the .nfo file directly using "Save", and doing a "Save as" and choosing the .nfo file type, but still get the same error message.

Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Install Belarc Advisor. It will provide all the information you need in a browser window as one document which can be saved as text or html using the save as command in the toolbar, converted to pdf if you require and e-mailed.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

royw (2015-03-19)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco. I still wish I coulkd solve my problem with the MSINFO32.EXE application.

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Thanks Calimanco. I still wish I coulkd solve my problem with the MSINFO32.EXE application.
    I think I asked before, but are you able to open the .nfo file in Notepad?

Also, what is the size of the .nfo file?
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-03-19 at 17:16.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I can open the .nfo file in Notepad, and the file size is 8.19 MB.

Roy Whitethread

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Yes, I can open the .nfo file in Notepad, and the file size is 8.19 MB.
    The issue may have something to do with the file size.

See this thread from Microsoft Communities...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-50ca3379ddea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast