Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop icons missing

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and all of my Desktop Icons have disappeared. The text associated with the Icons is still present - just the small graphic images are missing. Clicking on the text, still activates the applications and shortcuts. Also, all the Quick Launch Icons are missing, but placing the mouse cursor at various positions on the task bar,
    reveals smal pop-up text and a vague outline of the where the Icons should normally be visible. Clicking on the outline activates the applications as normal.
    Having searched on-line for a solution, I found several comments and I've tried several suggested solutions, but none have worked. I also note that the IconCache.db file is missing in the 'Users/user/AppData/Local' folder. I have tried to rebuild the file using recommended procedures but again no luck.
    Also. when viewing folder contents in Explorer, there are no folder Icons. When I right click 'Computer' to view the system page, the only ebtry on the left side is Control Panel - the option to access System Restore is missing. However, I used 'rstrui.exe' via the command prompt to restore to an earlier setup, but the problem still existed !!!

I've carried out Virus Scans using AVG and Malwarebytes but nothing significant found except a few 'PUP' instances which have been removed.
    I have an Image of my C: drive on an external USB drive, which I made about a month ago, but I'm reluctant to revert to this since I've added quite a few items since my last image creation.

Any suggestions - short of restoring from my Image - would be very much appreciated !!

jwoods
    You might try this Fix it from the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center...

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/m...ce_for_windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willum08 View Post
    I found several comments and I've tried several suggested solutions, but none have worked. I also note that the IconCache.db file is missing in the 'Users/user/AppData/Local' folder. I have tried to rebuild the file using recommended procedures but again no luck.
    You have probably all ready tried this approach, but in case you have not:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried ending explorer.exe in Task Manager/Processes then File - New Task (Run...) and entering that which should force Windows to recreate a new IconCache.db file.

Failing that, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports - Event Viewer may also have the event recorded.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-16 at 12:24.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sincere thanks to all who responded to my posting... Your time and effort is truly appreciated

However - I'm no further forward - despite all efforts, the problem still exists !!

Microsoft Fixit reported : "We did not detect any problems and therefore no fixes were applied."

"Automatically Rebuild Icon Cache" Option one reported : Icon DB has already been deleted. Press any key to continue.... then nothing.
    Option 2 : carried out the procedure exactly as instructed - still no change....
    Tried Merging the registry file as instructed at the end of the procedure - still no change ...

Sudo15 : tried both your suggestions already but neither fixed the problem......
    sfc /scannow reported no problems !!!

Unless anyone has any further suggestions to fix this problem, it looks like I'll have to Re-Image my C: Drive....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What were you doing immediately before this problem became apparent? Is it associated with a Windows Update, for example?

I take it you have done a cold boot of the machine since the problem started?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked Event Viewer ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for your replies - much appreciated.....

Tandor : The problem just occurred when I turned on my Laptop yesterday morning (Cold boot from total shut-down)... I had not been doing anything 'out of the ordinary', before closing down the previous evening, when everything was working OK.....

Sudo15 : I had a look through Event Viewer but I didn't really know what I was looking for.... Could you indicate where and what I should be looking for ??

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willum08 View Post
    Thanks again for your replies - much appreciated.....

Tandor : The problem just occurred when I turned on my Laptop yesterday morning (Cold boot from total shut-down)... I had not been doing anything 'out of the ordinary', before closing down the previous evening, when everything was working OK.....
    So you've done another cold boot since then, just to make sure the problem is a permanent one rather than a one-off?

Have you installed last week's Windows Updates, and if so when? No other new installations, cleaner scans etc? No automatic quarantines from anti-virus/malware scans etc?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tandor,
    Thanks for your further comments..

I've carried out several cold boots since the problem occurred...

I have not yet installed the updates issued last week (10th March 2015)
    I have not installed any new applications but have carried out scans with AVG antivirus and Malwarebytes. Neither found anything significant, apart from a few 'PUPs' which were dealt with by Malwarebytes....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll be away from my Laptop for a couple of hours or so, so if anyone responds to my posting, please don't assume I'm ignoring you

I should be back around 10:15 GMT at which time I will respond.....

jwoods
    The next simplest thing to try is a System Restore.

I would boot into Safe Mode, run System Restore, and then boot into Safe Mode *again* to allow System Restore to complete.

I have seen security software interfere with System Restore when booting into regular Windows.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Event Viewer click on Error then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane then look for those with the time stamp when you first switched on to find this problem.

Clicking on those will produce a brief description in the lower pane and clicking on the blue online help link can give more info (if MS has it) and possible solutions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for your responses....

jwoods : Yes, I tried a System Restore - as mentioned in my original posting, but it did not help. I chose a point several days before the problem occurred and had to use rstrui.exe in the command prompt, since the option was missing in the System folder (Right click on Computer > Properties)

Sudo15 : I looked in the location you suggested and the first entry for the date/time in question is :
    Quote: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1." and clicking on Event Log On-Line Help produced the following Quote "No results were found for your query. Please see Search Help for suggestions."
    I tried the TechNet search but got no further....

Looks like it's a lost cause now and I need to restore my c: drive to my saved Image back-up......

Thanks again for all your help.....

Kind Regards...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just been having a Google on that error message as I think that could be resolved by downloading your chipset drivers, but I don't think it is the cause of your missing icon cache.

Do you have an external HDD plugged in when you boot up ?

Are any more events listed for about the same time ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-03-16 at 19:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast