5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Spybot S&D Free 2.4 manually

I am servicing a Win7 Home Premium laptop for performance issues and the owner has Spybot S&D free for his anti-spyware program.
    --- Since I donít have Spybot I looked into and have questions on many items

He thinks it runs at startup and helps keep the computer free from spyware
    --- However from what I can see it does load at startup but thatís it and doesn't do anything actively

Since itís the free version he can manually run a system scan, update the definitions & run a rootkit scan
    --- Iíll show him how to do them on a scheduled basis
    --- He is very interested in keeping his system safe and secure so Iím expecting him to do them

When checking out the Spybot icon in the system tray, it reports the following
    Update Service Stopped:
    --- Since this is the free version Scheduling is only available in paid editions
    Live Protection is Off:
    --- Since this is the free Live Protection requires a valid license to run
    --- Does this mean he can acquire that license and still stay with the free version?
    -AS: Off: I havenít been able to find out what itís for
    --- However again since this is the free version, I suppose it doesnít matter
    Internet: unprotected
    --- This doesnít surprise

In the Uninstall a Program list
    Spybot S&D 1.6.2 from 1/10/2010
    --- Is it ok to uninstall this older version?
    I updated to the latest Spybot S&D 2.4

In services there are 3 Spybot entries: Spybot S&D 2 Scanner Service, Spybot S&D 2 Security Center Service Spybot S&D 2 Updating Service; all of them set to Automatic Startup & Started status
    --- Iím thinking of changing the Automatic Startup to Manual and the Started status to Stop

In startups there are 2 entries checked in: one for TeaTimer.exe & another one for SDTray.exe
    --- So I plan on removing them from startup

By doing those things, I feel that instead of having them sit there from startup, he can always manually do what he is allowed to do manually just the same

Thanks
    The bad news Spybot Free is not an always on anti virus scanner. Its an on demand anti malware scanner plus Teatimer. If you want the always on anti virus component, you have to obtain the paid for version. My suggestion is to uninstall Spybot and replace it with Malwarebytes, then install a separate antivirus program, one of the free ones, Avira, Bitdefender, Avast etc. perhaps, and, if he doesn't have one, a free firewall, or a paid for version of the AV program which includes a firewall.

http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...dent-teatimer/

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-17)

Thanks
    Calimanco has spoken wisely! I use Spybot 2 for my desktop and 1 laptop. Spybot 1 for the AtSchool laptop. I have had to tweak Spybot 2 'cause it can be invasive and problematic for nonGeeks and Geeks alike. Spybot is anti-spyware/anti-malware, combined with Malwarebytes free on-demand scans -- such a combo is very good against spy/mal-ware.
    Anti-virus -- I have both Avast and Avira, one has real time protections on, both run scheduled scans throughout each week.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AVG free is being used and it automatically does 3 items
    --- Virus scan once a week on Wed at 12 Noon
    --- Definition updates
    --- Program updates

His Firewall is Windows Firewall

I agree with Calimanco to replace Spybot Free
    --- I was thinking of Super Antispyware Free
    --- I have read good comments about it but I need to investigate before recommending it

Thanks
    SUPERAntispyware is very good at what it does! I've used both free and now fee for some time now. I have all my programs quarantee everything, that way, if there is a false positive, I can positively restore and whitelist said item[s].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-17)

Thanks
    As a working tech, of 35 years, the biggest fallacy (disambiguation) that I find is that any ONE program can adequately protect a person's PC.
    "Sorry Charley, it ain't a gonna happen".

On Spybot S&D: I've been a fan as long as the program has been in the wild. But the success or failure of the original program (1.6.2.46-Latest Ver.) is dependent on the proper setup. Without manual setup the program is only marginal at best.
    Just sitting on a persons PC, it can do nothing!!!

For my own use and the use of my techie friends, I wrote up a full page of instructions, just on the Installation and setup of the program. *

As good as the program is, and like most other programs, it doesn't find everything.
    No program does.
    Spybot S&D can get a new update every Wednesday, so that's a good day to Update, Immunize and Scan.
    It's as simple as 1, 2, 3. You're only going to get one update a week, but you can run a scan (manually, of course) as often as you wish.

* I've tried the newer 2.?? version, but found it way too complicated, for both me and my customers to use every week. So I continue to use the older version, which still works great for what it's designed to do. It also lets me see and remove bad BHO's.

So I do as I've been telling others to do, like forever, I run a whole package of Security Software to at least TRY to keep my own PC as clean and malware free as possible.

Another program that requires manual SETUP, is AVG 2015 FREE. As it comes out of the box, the auto-scanner is shut off.
    You MUST go into 'Options > Advanced Settings > Schedules, and start with Scans. Turn ON the scanner and set it for DAILY. Scanning only once a week is pretty lame, at least, and foolish at best. For best protection, get updates and then run a scan EVERY DAY! Or you could be leaving a new virus to do its damage for a week before it gets found and removed. By then, it may be too late!

"Super Anti-Spyware" is a pretty good program, to use in conjunction with other Security Software. It finds and removes PUPs and Tracking Cookies that other programs miss.

Another program that I have, but seems to be the least effective, is Malware Bytes. I even bought the PRO version, but it just doesn't seen to find very much. It misses things that my other programs find and remove.

Another program that is NOT FREE, but is very effective, is "Trojan Hunter". It will find and remove Trojans that all the other programs totally miss.

So my Total Package consists of:
    AVG 2015 FREE
    Spybot S&D 1.6.2.46
    Spyware Blaster
    Super Anti-Spyware FREE
    Malware Bytes Pro
    Trojan Hunter

Since a lot of malware will try to reside in your Temp folders, I run a program daily in my "Startup" folder, to remove all temp files. It will remove at least 5 MB of temp garbage daily. It even empties the Recycle Bin.

Cheers Mates and Happy Computing!
    Be SAFE!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-03-19 at 09:01.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AVG (as do every AV app I have seen for many years) scans all incoming email and external devices or disks plugged into the computer. I see little need to run a scan as well (and don't) since the virus should never get on the system in the first place. The Free updates virus definitions once a day. The paid every four hours by default.

Now it is true it is possible that you could uncover a new virus/malware not yet in the database or covered by heuristics, but that is extremely unlikely. Such a scenario is a reason to do a periodic virus scan figuring the definitions will eventually get added (but by then the damage is likely done), but I think it a waste of time and cycles.

In the event of an attack Malwarebytes, et al are important but rarely kept up to date on the PC. This is why most users need an automated update set and forget system or it does them no good. When I clean up someone's system it is always with an external device anyway (rescue CD, etc).

My system is protected by a single AV app (AVG free coincidentally), EMET and Cryptoprevent. Additionally I have AdblockPlus on my browser and the browsers popup blocker on. Hardware (firmware up to date) and software firewall. I run on a VPN. I have Secunia PSI keeping my less secure and security apps up to date. A home server for daily backups.

I live in my browser for many hours a day. I rarely encounter trouble and it is blocked when I do. I see little use to burden my system with more.

To return to the topic, I stopped using Spybot S&D many years ago when spyware became passe with browser blocking. It was magnificent when it hit the scene but tech passed it by. It is not an AV app.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-03-19 at 10:57.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-19)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I second DrWho's recommendation to use Spybot S&D 1.6.2.46 instead of version 2. (If the customer really wants to use Spybot, that is.)

I still use SS&D for the Hosts file protection, although admittedly the Spybot folks don't stay as current with that anymore for version 1.6 ever since version 2 came out. I may eventually replace it with SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes.

P.S. When I saw the asterisk in DrWho's post, I thought it might be a link to his instructions for the proper setup of Spybot. Where can we get a copy?
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2015-03-19 at 12:11. Reason: P.S.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeA For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-03-19)