Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Advisable or not to shut down routers?

In thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Chrome-problem lumpy95 mentions that he shuts down his router every night. I thought that shutting down routers results in a throttled service because the servers at the ISP think the router is having problems. However, I think it was repeated shut-downs that did this. So is it OK to shut routers down or is it better to keep them on all the time?

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this, so feel free to move it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's okay to shut the router down overnight but there's no need to.

It's repeated reboots over a short period of time that can cause the ISP's Dynamic Line Management to think that you have an unstable connection and it will increase the SNR Margin in an attempt to stabilise it.

This will result in a decreased sync and throughput speed.

Leaving the router on and not rebooting it for about a week will result in the DLM reinstating your profile so your download speeds return to normal.

An alternative to that is to contact your ISP and request the profile be changed back to what it was.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification Sudo. I always leave mine on, except when electricians are doing things to the electrics. Even though they say it's a different circuit, they can't guarantee the power won't go off!

Thanks also fort the correct terminology - I hope I can remember it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I used to switch my router off overnight when I first started with broadband until I was told that most people leave it switched on, although I'll sometimes switch it off overnight for it to refresh itself - otherwise the only other times would be when we have an electrical storm.

Thanks
    There could be a consideration for ADSL routers if, for some reason, you are trying to keep the same external IP address over a long period of time. Powering off one evening and on one morning may cause it to be assigned a different address.

Those with Sam Knows monitoring 'routers' have to leave them on all the time, anyway, and I leave my VM cable modem/router on permanently in the hope that the broadband connection will remain!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    In my case it really makes no difference as to shutting down the router every night. I get a wireless signal ( from an AP about 1 1/2 miles away ) to a radio then to my router, . My ISP knows that I shut down every night and would probably call and check on me to see if I was still alive if I didn't LOL.

Thanks
    My router not only MUST stay on, but it's on a UPS for continuous operation, even during a line-power failure.

With no router, I have no phone (Magic Jack= VOIP). I also supply WiFi to a neighbor 500' down the road and he may be on-line at any time of the day or night. So my router MUST be working 24x7.
    The only time it is NOT working is if my Cable (ISP) goes down for some reason.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife is very neurotic. Even though the router is wired (no wireless capability), she turns it off every night as she thinks that the waves emanating from it actually prevent her from getting to sleep.

No joke!
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2015-03-19 at 11:55. Reason: clarity

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, I mean wow! Of course, my wife professes to have no idea how radio waves, computers, TVs work from an analog standpoint let alone digital. Stuff automagically going through the air and making sound/pictures...whoda thunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    My wife is very neurotic. Even though the router is wired (no wireless capability), she turns it off every night as she thinks that the waves emanating from it actually prevent her from getting to sleep.

No joke!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I hope she turns her mobile phone off too - and yours.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    my wife stopped using the computer for two weeks because she thought that she broke it because i changed the shut down .wav file.
    it said "you commited a fatal error, there's nothing we can do for you, you're dismissed".
    i had to keep a straight face because she controls half of the check book and all of the of the thing that i married her for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
    my wife stopped using the computer for two weeks because she thought that she broke it because i changed the shut down .wav file.
    it said "you commited a fatal error, there's nothing we can do for you, you're dismissed".
    i had to keep a straight face because she controls half of the check book and all of the of the thing that i married her for.
    Good One LMAO

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On on on here no need to, reboot as and only if required. Should be fine

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I turn my router off whenever it is not in use, even during the day but always overnight. For two reasons, (a) to save power, and (b) for security. I have security wound up, and I doubt if anyone could break in, but I take the view that if it is turned off, no one can get in. I have not suffered any degradation in performance, just have to wait a minute or so while it reboots.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I turn my router off whenever it is not in use, even during the day but always overnight. For two reasons, (a) to save power, and (b) for security. I have security wound up, and I doubt if anyone could break in, but I take the view that if it is turned off, no one can get in. I have not suffered any degradation in performance, just have to wait a minute or so while it reboots.
    - security, if configured correctly you should be fine, most are of little interest to the hackers / outside world. You could get zapped if you the inside user is clicking bad stuff on the WWW of cause, bar that should be OK. You could install a separate firewall box to give more protection and that is not a BIG issue or cost to do as you only really need something simple / small for home, and that will stop MOST should they try

Yes the reboot time you have mentioned

Cost is very low really to run when not in use, bit like if you have a switch or hardware firewall in place, they are pence to run really and its a lot of fluffing to power on off unless all in one place etc etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast