Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade vista to win7 - proper package to buy? and...

Hi - I've been wanting to upgrade from vista 32bit to win 7 64 bit for years, literally. Several things have made me procrastinate much longer than I should have - obviously. I've done searches, here and elsewhere, and can't seem to find direct (current!) answers to my questions - most of the info I find is 4,5,6 years old and I'm not sure how much of it still applies!

My biggest problem has been what disc(s) to buy! I cannot find anything that consistently says "win 7 pro 64 bit, use this to upgrade (yes, I know it's a new install) from vista." The problem for me has been the (unclear) differences between oem and system builder and upgrade and what's legal or will be licensable or what!

I have an hp pc that came with vista. I don't have a vista disc, just what they installed on a hard drive partition. I think I could create a rebuild dvd following their procedure, but I believe that's irrelevant for this case.

So, can anyone point me to *exactly* which "win 7 pro 64 bit" disc/package I would need to buy? an amazon link, perhaps?

And this brings me to the second part of my problem. I know I would have to do an install to get to 64 bit. But, again, I bought Office on this pc from hp, and it didn't come with Office install discs...so how do I reinstall Office after I do the win7 install?

I apologize for the outdated questions.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Ron

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article may help in determining if your computer and applications are compatible, but you may have to contact MS to have your Office reactivated, depending upon what the Win 7 Upgrade Assistant finds. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...ows-7#T1=tab01

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I've actually been through that, a long time ago.

I still have the problem of which package to buy, and how to load my old office on the new installation.

Ron

Thanks
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit is the usual choice. Buy the retail package, not the OEM version.

As long as you have the CD and key for your Office it should install without problems although you may have to contact MS to reactivate it. I have Office XP running on W8.1 with no problems although its officially not compatible. One advantage of getting W7 now is that you will be eligible for W10 free when its released. Be sure to run the update advisor before you do anything else to reveal any unforeseen problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=20

Thanks
    Just my 2 cents worth:
    I tried upgrading 2 HP computers from XP to win 7 ( a laptop and a desktop ). The desktop was successful because HP had the upgraded drivers, the laptop was unsuccessful because HP had no drivers albeit in your case ( vista to win 7 ), they probably have the upgraded drivers.
    Since you have 32 bit, I suggest that you stay with 32 bit in Win 7. I would first look on HP support for your computer and make sure they have all the upgraded drivers you will need ( win 7 will be able to upgrade some of them at installation ).
    As to the office installation, ( as Sudo15 said ) you may have to contact MS but first I would contact HP support to see about getting disk's.
    Hope this helps

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should still create a full system image before upgrading as a fall back, should the upgrade not go as planned.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you have 32 bit, I suggest that you stay with 32 bit in Win 7
    More on that point: when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit or 64-bit to 32-bit you have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, which will mean installing all the programs you need. Also, nearly all drivers will have to be appropriate/obtained for the 64-bit version.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    More on that point: when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit or 64-bit to 32-bit you have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, which will mean installing all the programs you need. Also, nearly all drivers will have to be appropriate/obtained for the 64-bit version.
    yes, that's why I said I needed the office discs, which I had mentioned I never received. Someone mentioned calling hp for that, I will give that a try.
    As for the win7 discs, I wanted to get Pro (rather than home premium) for its features. But should I get one that says "OEM" or not? That's the part I'm not clear about.
    And as for staying with 32 bit, one of the reasons I want to upgrade is to be able to use more than 3.5GB of memory...

Thanks all, for your input!

Thanks
    You can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, it has to be a clean/custom install. Is there any particular reason as to why you are moving to 64bit? most common reason is to be able to access in excess of 4GB RAM.

Did HP give you some form of backup option for Office, possibly an ISO download? If you install 64bit Windows you can can run 32bit software as well as 64bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HTRon View Post
    yes, that's why I said I needed the office discs, which I had mentioned I never received. Someone mentioned calling hp for that, I will give that a try.
    As for the win7 discs, I wanted to get Pro (rather than home premium) for its features. But should I get one that says "OEM" or not? That's the part I'm not clear about.
    And as for staying with 32 bit, one of the reasons I want to upgrade is to be able to use more than 3.5GB of memory...

Thanks all, for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    You can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, it has to be a clean/custom install. Is there any particular reason as to why you are moving to 64bit? most common reason is to be able to access in excess of 4GB RAM.

Did HP give you some form of backup option for Office, possibly an ISO download? If you install 64bit Windows you can can run 32bit software as well as 64bit.
    lol Timing!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post

I think our messages crossed in the posting...see my reply right above this message. And my original post indicated that I knew I'd be doing an install not an in-place upgrade.

I didn't get anything from hp, I wonder if I was supposed to? But I will be calling them later to see what I can do.

Thanks!
    Ron

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Some versions of Office provided by OEMs will either be already on the HDD or be downloadable with the seller providing a key card that has the required Product Key necessary for activation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When it comes pre-installed on an OEM machine, it's usually only a 60 day free trial and it's up to the end user to decide if they want to go pro and get a key from MS.

Thanks
    An OEM (original equipment manufacturer) disk is intended for people who build their own PCs. Its valid only on the machine its installed on and cant be transferred to a future build (legally) and it has no support from MS if you run into problems. That's why its cheaper.