5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to customize file and folder views

LANGALIST PLUS

How to customize file and folder views

By Fred Langa

Windows 7 and 8 lost some useful options for organizing files and folders features fully supported in XP and Vista. Here's how to regain similar functionality. Plus: A query about anti-malware recommendations and a discussion about more problems with updater apps.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/how-to-customize-file-and-folder-views/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost options in Windows Explorer

Woody wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    Windows 7 and 8 lost some useful options for organizing files and folders features fully supported in XP and Vista
    I thought: "Windows 95 and later lost some useful options for organizing files and folders features fully supported in Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11" With the old File Manager it used to be so easy to open two or more folders side by side to copy files, without needing to open multiple instances of Windows Explorer, resize them etc. etc.

There are third-party solutions, but I still don't know why Microsoft removed that functionality.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed XYPlorerFree on my Win7 system and like it so much I also installed in on my XP system. It bypasses all the shortcomings of Windows Explorer. See http://www.xyplorer.com/ After installing Explorer in Win7 I tried 3 or 4 other replacement programs that were not what I was looking for. I give XYplorer a high recommend and you don't have to make any registry changes to use it.