New Lounger
    Thanks

Image inside of field code disappears?

Hi! I've been working on a corporate template of sorts that the entire company can use to have quick-branded word documents that fit our brand standards. Ideally the last page of the document should have a different footer (the rest have Page | #, the last page has a stylized footer with our address, phone number, and specifically, our logo).
    I originally had this set up with section breaks, but the end users really don't know how to modify (or safely remove) section breaks, and this becomes a problem if their document is only one page long, so I turned to using field codes. The original footer was basically two lines of "text" first line is logo left justified, page number right justified, that whole line has a bottom border to give a horizonal line. The line below it is just text and a hyperlink (company name, address, url, phone).

I've got the footer set up an IF page = numpages "fancy footer" "just page number code." And I was actually able to paste my original footer into the field code, and it worked (embedded picture included)... mostly. The document got a bit "buggy" and the mouse would twitch between the arrow or the text cursor, and I'm guessing/assuming it was due to the shifting footer size throwing the page layout off (even though the footer margin was big enough).
    To fix that I dumped the entire code inside a text box (so it would always have a fixed height, unaffected by the rest of the environment).
    That seemed to stabilize the document, but now enters the post's title issue.

Whenever a user makes a change on the document, the image disappears from view. It's still there when I toggle the field codes on. It's also still there when you print the document (actually it's even there in the print preview). It even stays when you export the document as a PDF. It just doesn't display?
    Actually if you view the print preview (I'm using office 2013 so it's just the print page in the menu) and close out without printing, the logo comes back... until you make another change.

I can't figure out why other than I know I'm doing a bunch of things field codes weren't really designed to do. A chunk of the end users will likely not be converting the file to another format (e.g. they'll just e-mail the word doc as is) so it is still a pretty major issue.

Also the "INCLUDEPICTURE" field isn't really an option, as this document needs to be able to be used by users who are offline.

I'm a complete novice with field codes, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong and/or if there's a better way to accomplish what I'm after.

how it should look:how it should look.PNG
    code (the box is stretched in this image to show you the full code, and it's overlapping a table on the page which is what the random numbers are. It's normally only 1" high and doesn't touch page content):Capture.PNG

actually now that I'm looking at it, the cursor on the last page (where this footer is) is staying as an arrow, even over text when it should be the "I" looking one?

Sorry for the long post, any advice/time is appreciated!

Thanks
    Wow!
    An IF field containing a picture in truetext...
    Inside a textbox...
    Inside a footer...

OK, I would get rid of the textbox, it adds an entire extra layer of complexity.
    Don't expect to get the I-beam cursor when floating over text or a picture inside a field in a footer unless you are actually in the footer and have clicked on the field.

I routinely use textboxes inside IF fields without problem.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Wow!
    An IF field containing a picture in truetext...
    Inside a textbox...
    Inside a footer...

OK, I would get rid of the textbox, it adds an entire extra layer of complexity.
    Don't expect to get the I-beam cursor when floating over text or a picture inside a field in a footer unless you are actually in the footer and have clicked on the field.

I routinely use textboxes inside IF fields without problem.
    Thanks for the reply, but the cursor bugs throughout the whole document, hence the issue. I'm trying to avoid users freaking out because they can't find their mouse or it looks like they can't type when they can.

The text box seems to stabilize the height of the area, making the whole document less...twitchy? But I've tried with and without and it doesn't seem to affect the image disappearing issue...

Thanks
    What happens if you put the text box(es) inside the field instead of the other way around?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IMO, Floating shapes or text boxes is rarely a good idea and I certainly wouldn't use them in this situation.

I would suggest trying a tabular layout. On the last page option I would put the entire footer into a table: first row with two columns and second row with three columns. The other page option wouldn't need to be in a table since it is a one liner.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia