Thread: Dell XPS fans

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell XPS fans

Am attempting to fix a friends' Dell XPS running Windows 7 Pro.
    Shortly after booting up, the fan(s) spin up and continue without ever stopping. After a time, they get very loud.
    The only way to stop the fans is to shut down and pull the plug. They continue even when logging off or going to sleep.
    Having researched this problem on Google, turns out that many XPS owners have had this problem but I do not see a solution. Some have updated the BIOS, replaced fans and replaced heat sinks, no solutions.
    I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced a similar problem and what a solution might be?
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Disable fan control in BIOS? Let the OS or an app like Speedfan do it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fan speed is normally related to CPU temperature. Use HWMonitor to show the CPU temperature. If it's above 50C you may have a dust filled heatsink.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Disable fan control in BIOS? Let the OS or an app like Speedfan do it.
    Not sure how to do that? Do not see anything in BIOS to do that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CPU temp is 43 Centigrade

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems the fan controller has failed and that is a motherboard component. You can install a 3rd party manual fan controller as long as you keep an eye on the CPU temps (several eyes).

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'd agree with Paul provided the following doesn't work:

Set fans to quiet mode in BIOS
    Clear/reset BIOS
    Make sure CPU fan is on it's proper fan header on mobo, if it is switch it to another.

I've owned XPS systems in the past and have never encountered this issue.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with the fans on my Alienware Aurora (4 years old) when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (64-bit) from Windows 7 (64 bit). After I upgraded, the fans ran at 100% and there was no apparent way to stop/slow them to normal speeds. I found a ton of information on the internet regarding this issue which was attributed to Dell (Alienware) not updating their fan control software to work with the Windows 8.1 (64 bit) operating system. Based on what I read, because most of the affected computers were several years old, it didn't appear to the writers that Dell would be updating that software either. I ended up employing my own workaround which works 95% of the time - My Alienware computer included Thermal Sensor software which automatically manages the liquid cooling system. That software includes fan control(s) software. I changed that software from automatic mode to manual mode and set the three fans to run at 5%. I also set it to run at Windows startup. Bingo - instant quiet and no overheating based on readings supplied by Alienware software. Now, the only time my fans run 100% are when the computer starts - once windows loads, Alienware's software kicks in and fans quiet to almost imperceptible levels. Thjis wasn't a pretty solution but works for my situation.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Paul T mentioned you may have some serious dust accumulation that's causing things to run hotter than they should. This happens when a computer is several years old or if it runs constantly. Even if the fan problem is not directly related it's still worth checking the dust situation.

1. Get a can of compressed air from your local computer store or office supply store. Do NOT shake the can before spraying it.
    2. Unplug the power cord. Then open the computer case and spray compressed air everywhere.
    3. Duck when your wife starts yelling about getting dust everywhere.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you still not have resolved the situation, maybe my suggestion on this post may applied.

Julien
    Julien ☺